The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, new ambitions here. I used to run an online cookbook second hand store ( just for fun) until the website providing for it started to become a business only page. So I stopped because it required a business license to continue.

But as my customers rated my store a 4.3 out of 5 on average for 7 years, we decided today that I am going to get a business license as I can do this from home and it's my fondest passion and the area in life I know most about. We don't expect big revenues but just a nice side gig would already be good.

So, new ambitions here. I used to run an online cookbook second hand store ( just for fun) until the website providing for it started to become a business only page. So I stopped because it required a business license to continue.

But as my customers rated my store a 4.3 out of 5 on average for 7 years, we decided today that I am going to get a business license as I can do this from home and it's my fondest passion and the area in life I know most about. We don't expect big revenues but just a nice side gig would already be good.
Congrats! Good luck and may you have all the success!

I know sort of firsthand what a challenge it can be getting a business off the ground, with MrsT standing up her travel business in 2013, and getting a license and forming an LLC and all the tax stuff and all that. It can be daunting at first, but it pays off.

Congrats! Good luck and may you have all the success!

I know sort of firsthand what a challenge it can be getting a business off the ground, with MrsT standing up her travel business in 2013, and getting a license and forming an LLC and all the tax stuff and all that. It can be daunting at first, but it pays off.
It's just a side gig, not a big business plan yet which won't be needed with this construction either because we'll be under a corporative wing to start out. We'll work under www.bol.com which is the Dutch Amazon which lets small businesses with a license sell through them. Like etsy etc.

If course, if succesful enough I might turn it into a store. But that's not yet realistic.

Ahhh, neighbors. MrsT has spent the last two days over at the neighbor’s, working a yard sale, and I warned her up front that they’d be fighting before it was over with.

Well, they’re not outright fighting, but they’re grumbling pretty good at each other. When they asked us if we wanted to put stuff over there and help staff it, MrsT said sure, with the caveat that she couldn’t on Sunday (today), because she has other plans. They said that was fine.

MrsT was out on her early morning walk, and they were putting stuff out, and she overheard them complaining about her not working today, so they’re angry at her and now she’s angry at them! 🤷🏻

Ahhh, neighbors. MrsT has spent the last two days over at the neighbor’s, working a yard sale, and I warned her up front that they’d be fighting before it was over with.

Well, they’re not outright fighting, but they’re grumbling pretty good at each other. When they asked us if we wanted to put stuff over there and help staff it, MrsT said sure, with the caveat that she couldn’t on Sunday (today), because she has other plans. They said that was fine.

MrsT was out on her early morning walk, and they were putting stuff out, and she overheard them complaining about her not working today, so they’re angry at her and now she’s angry at them! 🤷🏻

I only do one-day garage sales. By about 2PM, I'm selling stuff for next to nothing. At some point, I'll put a "Free" sign on the leftovers just so nothing goes back in the house. :laugh:

CD

Well, they’re not outright fighting, but they’re grumbling pretty good at each other.
Ok, scratch that, they’re properly fighting now.

Turns out, they’re mildly mad at MrsT for not working today (even though she told them several times last week that she wouldn’t be able to), but they’re really mad at me (?!) for not coming over and working today.

The funny thing is, when all this kicked off, I told everyone straightaway that I wanted nothing to do with any yard sale, and that I’d have nothing to do with it, so everyone knew up front where I stood (which was well away :laugh: ).

Well, they thought I should have had a change of heart and gone over there and sat out in the sun all day. Not gonna happen, Cap’n! :headshake:

So what’d they do? Remember when I said anything that went over there stayed over there, that if I had to haul something there, and then haul it back, it wouldn’t be worth my time/effort? They’d agreed that was fine, because they’re planning on donating anything unsold to Goodwill, so they said no problem, they’d just haul our stuff away with theirs.

Well, MrsT finished up her stuff today, saw they were tearing down, so she went over to help. She was back in two minutes:

“You’re not gonna like this, but they say you’ve got to come get our stuff.”
“Bull💩, they already agreed to take it in with their stuff.”
“That’s just it. Now they’re saying they agreed to take in, but they didn’t agree to store it, and they’re not planning on donating it for a week or two.”
“Geez, they’re just pizzed because neither of us worked today.”
“I know, but that’s what they’re saying. They said they’ll let us know when they’re taking their stuff in and we can bring ours back over.”
“So I get to haul it there, back, and there again? Nope.”

So I told her to go back over, tell them I was in the middle of cooking, just leave it out, and I’d get it before the end of the day.

Here’s where it gets funny/petty - MrsT went back over, and I’d just finished some meatballs (but not the sauce), and since there were plenty, she grabbed a couple for them to try.

“Tasty made this, he wants you to-“
“I can’t eat that!”
“You don’t even know-“
“I SAID I CAN’T EAT THAT!!!”

:eek:

Over to the husband, who’s a human garbage disposal, he’ll eat anything a goat will eat…and then eat the goat.

“You want to try this?”
“No!…what is it?”
“German meatballs.”
“Ok.”
<chomp>
“They’re ok, I guess.”

Also, MrsT always has a pocket full of treats for their dog, she’s like the dog’s godmother, so to speak, and any time she goes over there, she gives him a treat when she gets there. It’s just habit, she did it with their previous dog as well, and she’s been doing it with this one for nearly three years, every day.

She slipped him a treat:

“Don’t do that! He can’t have those!”
“Jan, it’s the same treats I’ve been giving him since you brought him home.”
“Well he can’t have those any more!”

Sheer pettiness, they usually trip over themselves to eat anything I make, and they usually love having MrsT spoil their dog a little.

What’s that saying about fences and neighbors…sigh…

I only do one-day garage sales. By about 2PM, I'm selling stuff for next to nothing. At some point, I'll put a "Free" sign on the leftovers just so nothing goes back in the house. :laugh:

CD

We have a daughter and son who help us avoid yard sales. Daughter has taken 2 x crays, butter raspberry jam and pickled onions over the last week. And taken my 5in orbital sander and about 50 discs. And ladder and mini spray bottle. And that's what I know about?
Sons been light because hes been away a week. Hes taken jam and onions in the last week.

Russ

Ok, scratch that, they’re properly fighting now.

Turns out, they’re mildly mad at MrsT for not working today (even though she told them several times last week that she wouldn’t be able to), but they’re really mad at me (?!) for not coming over and working today.

The funny thing is, when all this kicked off, I told everyone straightaway that I wanted nothing to do with any yard sale, and that I’d have nothing to do with it, so everyone knew up front where I stood (which was well away :laugh: ).

Well, they thought I should have had a change of heart and gone over there and sat out in the sun all day. Not gonna happen, Cap’n! :headshake:

So what’d they do? Remember when I said anything that went over there stayed over there, that if I had to haul something there, and then haul it back, it wouldn’t be worth my time/effort? They’d agreed that was fine, because they’re planning on donating anything unsold to Goodwill, so they said no problem, they’d just haul our stuff away with theirs.

Well, MrsT finished up her stuff today, saw they were tearing down, so she went over to help. She was back in two minutes:

“You’re not gonna like this, but they say you’ve got to come get our stuff.”
“Bull💩, they already agreed to take it in with their stuff.”
“That’s just it. Now they’re saying they agreed to take in, but they didn’t agree to store it, and they’re not planning on donating it for a week or two.”
“Geez, they’re just pizzed because neither of us worked today.”
“I know, but that’s what they’re saying. They said they’ll let us know when they’re taking their stuff in and we can bring ours back over.”
“So I get to haul it there, back, and there again? Nope.”

So I told her to go back over, tell them I was in the middle of cooking, just leave it out, and I’d get it before the end of the day.

Here’s where it gets funny/petty - MrsT went back over, and I’d just finished some meatballs (but not the sauce), and since there were plenty, she grabbed a couple for them to try.

“Tasty made this, he wants you to-“
“I can’t eat that!”
“You don’t even know-“
“I SAID I CAN’T EAT THAT!!!”

:eek:

Over to the husband, who’s a human garbage disposal, he’ll eat anything a goat will eat…and then eat the goat.

“You want to try this?”
“No!…what is it?”
“German meatballs.”
“Ok.”
<chomp>
“They’re ok, I guess.”

Also, MrsT always has a pocket full of treats for their dog, she’s like the dog’s godmother, so to speak, and any time she goes over there, she gives him a treat when she gets there. It’s just habit, she did it with their previous dog as well, and she’s been doing it with this one for nearly three years, every day.

She slipped him a treat:

“Don’t do that! He can’t have those!”
“Jan, it’s the same treats I’ve been giving him since you brought him home.”
“Well he can’t have those any more!”

Sheer pettiness, they usually trip over themselves to eat anything I make, and they usually love having MrsT spoil their dog a little.

What’s that saying about fences and neighbors…sigh…
And my friends wonder why I was stayed disappeared after Covid, people can be a right pita sometimes. Something thats supposed to be all jolly and light can easily turn into some terrible fault judging without any warning theres incoming.
You and your wife have my sympathy, it's disappointing how much brain space these unpleasant interactions take up 🤗

You and your wife have my sympathy, it's disappointing how much brain space these unpleasant interactions take up 🤗
Thanks.

Stuff like that rolls off my back, and I’m used to them. We’ve had disagreements before, and it’ll blow over, and I don’t feel like we did anything wrong, so I’m not bothered by it.

MrsT, OTOH, takes this stuff to heart. No doubt she didn’t sleep last night and had bad dreams over it, especially since she feels a little slighted.

IMO, a good part of their problem is their dynamic as a couple. She’s 70, he’s 66, they’re both retired. They’ve lived here probably a dozen years now, and she’s much more like his mother than his wife. It’s weird, because she smothers him and he acts like it bothers him…but then he turns around and does something else rather stupid, frankly, that requires her to step in and fix it for him.

That means she’s perpetually irritated with him and sort of peevish with everyone else, and he’s more or less like the world’s oldest 6yo, requiring constant monitoring to get out of the messes he makes for both of them.

Thanks.

Stuff like that rolls off my back, and I’m used to them. We’ve had disagreements before, and it’ll blow over, and I don’t feel like we did anything wrong, so I’m not bothered by it.

MrsT, OTOH, takes this stuff to heart. No doubt she didn’t sleep last night and had bad dreams over it, especially since she feels a little slighted.

IMO, a good part of their problem is their dynamic as a couple. She’s 70, he’s 66, they’re both retired. They’ve lived here probably a dozen years now, and she’s much more like his mother than his wife. It’s weird, because she smothers him and he acts like it bothers him…but then he turns around and does something else rather stupid, frankly, that requires her to step in and fix it for him.

That means she’s perpetually irritated with him and sort of peevish with everyone else, and he’s more or less like the world’s oldest 6yo, requiring constant monitoring to get out of the messes he makes for both of them.

That is exhausting! Part of that type of dynamic always seems to include the childish one in the relationship having little strops about being 'managed' it always struck me that they are more bothered by other people seeing it than they are the actual relationship dynamics.

I had a couple of friends that I was quite close to for a while, our children were the same age, we used to ski together every year but it sadly didn't last.
He was a big kid (reminded me of a Labrador puppy) and she was the intelligent chief in charge. She controlled everything and he had to run anything he wanted to do past her for approval before he did it, often in my mind needlessly saying no.

That sounds awful to me but it suited them (each to their own) and it did prevent him from doing some really stupid and sometimes dangerous things.

However they assumed our relationship ran the same way which it certainly does not. She could not get to grips with the idea I don't control what my husband does and assumed I used sex as leverage (I guess that's how she worked 🤷‍♀️) "BUT HOW DO YOU CONTROL HIM THEN?" was blurted out, I replied "I don't, he's a force of nature, you don't control a force of nature. We encourage each other to do the things that makes them happy, that's it"

That was the start of the rot. Once the Labrador puppy saw my husband was doing as he pleased (with consideration of me of course) he became angry and whenever we saw each other they would pick at how my at Mr SSOAP's relationship works. It became quite destructive with the man trying to plant divisive seeds whenever he was alone with my husband.
Things like she controls you, she doesn't let you do what you want, she doesn't let you have a say, it's alright for Mrs SSOAP to do whatever she wants but not you"

All pure projection. Fortunately Mr SSOAP and I have always had a very strong relationship and Mr SSOAP was at first confused as to why he was saying these things and then got fed up with it as did I.
It was plain when we met his she wife encouraged this bad mouthing of our relationship so that was that!

People ay, heyho!

People ay, heyho!
Well, you’re not going to believe this, but I’ve made breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, decided to reward myself with a glass of champagne (Chambord added) on the front porch, just sat down, looked up, and…

…they just drove by with a truckload of stuff for Goodwill, including our stuff! :laugh:

Who says the universe doesn’t have a sense of humor? Cheers! 🥂

On a serious/somewhat sadder note, it’s a lovely late morning by most people’s standards (75F/22C, bright blue sky, the gentlest of breezes), and MrsT won’t join me because she’s afraid they’ll see her and think she’s “goofing off.”

I obviously don’t have that issue:
IMG_4544.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom