The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't directed at you specifically. It's happened on another forum where you are not a member or at least haven't visited for quite some time.
I get sometimes slightly annoyed when people use incorrect terminology that I suspect isn't autocorrect (or typo) induced, such as "peaked my curiosity" instead of "piqued", or they use "discrete" instead of "discreet" in the wrong way, that kind of thing. I rarely say anything about it, though, unless it's someone I feel rather comfortable with and feel like needling them, LOL. But I have been trying my best to just not do that anymore, either, as it does seem to upset people who should know that I am just elbowing them.

Stay safe.

During the bush fires here 4½ years ago (now called The Black Summer), despite being 50km from the nearest fire, we couldn't see the shearing shed 100m away from our home. I couldn't leave the house at all for 6 weeks. We had to operate 2 double door systems, so hubby came it via the back door, shut that before changing clothes (yes it was that bad), then coming through the next door. Shut that door before he then opened the door into the house. My respiratory consultant and my doctor were both saying to stay at home because the air quality in the hospitals was worse than that outside! And it was bad out, very bad. We ended up buying 2 air purifiers and a portable air con unit (we've not used it since) because the temperature was that high constantly (above 43°C upto 45°C here, and no relief at night because we couldn't open the windows). Wet towels and sheets at night were the only way to get any sleep.

Some 80% of all Australian forests were burnt during those fires.

The result was that we already had P3 masks and many P2 masks when Covid arrived.

But we were amazingly lucky. 6 months previously we had had to suddenly move house, and that house was in one of those national parks and the fires (one of the worst in the state) got within 1km of that house. Had we still have been living there, we would have had to move out because of my severe asthma.

One the up side, though we did have some amazing sunrises through the smoke.

View attachment 101068
This was the day before the smoke arrived at our house and the last time I left the house other than for emergency treatment.

View attachment 101069
Sunrise the next morning (with a P3 mask on).

View attachment 101072
That's where out water comes from, and was the limit of visibility for about 3 of the 6 weeks we were badly affected.

View attachment 101071
Another of those Christmas sunrises.

View attachment 101070

Both dams in that photo are dry.

They are forecasting more fires again for this summer for here. But curiously, they have also blamed the last 3 years of flooding in those fires. It changed our weather that much.

Stay safe.

The smoke and smell reached NZ as well.

Russ

I get sometimes slightly annoyed when people use incorrect terminology that I suspect isn't autocorrect (or typo) induced, such as "peaked my curiosity" instead of "piqued", or they use "discrete" instead of "discreet" in the wrong way, that kind of thing. I rarely say anything about it, though, unless it's someone I feel rather comfortable with and feel like needling them, LOL. But I have been trying my best to just not do that anymore, either, as it does seem to upset people who should know that I am just elbowing them.

I'd hate to be on your bad side lol.

Russ

I'd hate to be on your bad side lol.

Russ
I never mean any harm by it when I do point it out. And you will never get on my bad side, you are far too easy-going for me to get upset with. I know you to be a good-natured person. But one day I might tease you about something, I think I have done that before and you didn't get offended!

I never mean any harm by it when I do point it out. And you will never get on my bad side, you are far too easy-going for me to get upset with. I know you to be a good-natured person. But one day I might tease you about something, I think I have done that before and you didn't get offended!

Lol. You could never offend me.

Russ

Hmm, my English is not bad, but honestly I don't know how I'd have written those phrases if I hadn't been taught the difference by reading it wrote down by you now. So thank you for preventing future mistakes :laugh:

Hmm, my English is not bad, but honestly I don't know how I'd have written those phrases if I hadn't been taught the difference by reading it wrote down by you now. So thank you for preventing future mistakes :laugh:

Your English is actually quite good, especially for it being a second language.

BTW,
if I hadn't been taught the difference by reading it wrote down by you now.

Just a tip... Instead of "wrote down," use "as written." :wink:

CD

I was a report editor for a company that provides business evaluations and some of our auditors (who were supposed English majors) made glaring mistakes in their reports that drove me crazy. I had to quit after a year in because it was tedious and annoying, LOL.

This forum is informal and I'm not looking for errors, but your English is quite good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom