The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was milder today. I think we hit about 94F/34C today. It is currently 76F/24C, so I may walk around the neighborhood and smoke a cigar.

CD

It was milder today. I think we hit about 94F/34C today. It is currently 76F/24C, so I may walk around the neighborhood and smoke a cigar.

CD
Same weather here since last friday. I'm kinda wiped out and spend a lot of time under my fan, not posting much here thus. This is not boding well for our summer, last time we started with this we ended with 42 celcius for a week.

I know, not shocking for a Texan but quite something else for a muddy swamp dweller that's living in a swamp that seems to be drying up.

My parents and my brother both said they had a bad thunderstorm (constant for ½ hr, which is mild in Aussie terms but bad for Cheshire). Someone my brother knows through being a driving instructor had their garden struck by lightning.

Some parts of the UK had floods and hailstones from what I hear.

Some parts of the UK had floods and hailstones from what I hear.
Yeah, my parents and brother both had hailstones.

We had a freak storm come through yesterday afternoon. It literally went dark out during the storm. The light sensors closed the chook coop up. That was hail stones, thunder and lightening as well but with high winds that brought a few trees down including 1 in our garden. It was almost constant thunder and lightning. Luckily the hail was just normal sized stuff.

One of my chooks (whose 8 or 9 years old and usually rock solid) totally freaked out with one of the lightning strikes and thunder. It grounded somewhere between our house and our neighbours house from what I can tell.

My husband was driving home at the time and had to slow from 110kph to 60kph on the straight section of the dual carriageway we use all the time because of the volume of rain. He was aquaplaning and couldn't see anything. The noise was incredible apparently. The temp dropped massively outside as well.

I think it lasted maybe 15 minutes and was gone.

Update. Mowed half the lawn and the petrol ran out (it's a two stroke engine).
Cadged some more petrol off the neighbour, filled up the tank...and the bloody machine wouldn't start. No way!
So now I've got half a mowed lawn.

Update. Mowed half the lawn and the petrol ran out (it's a two stroke engine).
Cadged some more petrol off the neighbour, filled up the tank...and the bloody machine wouldn't start. No way!

That'll sometimes happen when you run a lawnmower out of gas. Get some starter fluid to spray into the carb. You'll probably have to start it that way a few times before it gets the carb primed, and keeps running on its own.

CD

Now your yard matches mine.

Finally heard from the mower shop - can’t be welded back, too much of the deck rusted. Guess I’m shopping for a new mower this weekend. :( $$$$

This is messing up my Master Mowing Strategy for moving house and retiring. I don’t want to get another relatively expensive ZTR mower if we’re moving in the next few years to a house with a smaller yard…but I don’t want to go back to a standard riding mower because they it’ll take forever to mow two acres.

Now your yard matches mine.

Finally heard from the mower shop - can’t be welded back, too much of the deck rusted. Guess I’m shopping for a new mower this weekend. :( $$$$

This is messing up my Master Mowing Strategy for moving house and retiring. I don’t want to get another relatively expensive ZTR mower if we’re moving in the next few years to a house with a smaller yard…but I don’t want to go back to a standard riding mower because they it’ll take forever to mow two acres.

The advantage to a quality mower is that it will have some resale value in a few years if you take care of it. We had a John Deere at the bakehouse, and got a few hundred bucks for it when we sold the house.

CD

Last edited:
The advantage to a quality mower is that it will have some resale value in a few years if you take care of it. We had a John Deere at the lakehouse, and got a few hundred bucks for it when we sold the house.

CD

Autocorrect drives me nuts sometimes...

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 8.02.31 PM.png

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom