The most recent meal I cooked was ...

Oi! It was nice when we were there.
And we got stunningly lucky with the weather when we were in Scandinavia for 3-5 months 5 years ago. But it isn't always like that and we were STUNNINGLY lucky as I know from years of going to all of Scandinavia over the last 3 decades (except Iceland where I really want to go to, but I think NZ and Tasmania may now come first).
http://aramok.co.uk/photo_8653477.html
To see the midnight sun as many times as we did was amazingly lucky. To have the fantastic weather, minus the midge (population failure that year because it was so dry) was stunningly lucky. Scotland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Ireland... the weather is in the luck of the draw. I have been rained out in all of them. I have been sunburnt in all of them and I have had mediocre weather in all of them. But I do love all of them, I just want to get out to Iceland at some point and cycle tour there. But it won't happen for a while now given our off-road tourers/expedition bikes are now in the southern hemisphere with us!

The last meal is a parmesan fried chicken, zucchini two ways fried and steamed, pasta with mushroom sauce and rolls.

...was last night.
Mushroom and caramelised onion tart, served with spicy Italian tofu sausages (homemade of course), roasted fennel and jacket potatoes stuffed with caramelised onion, coconut cheddar cheese and peas. Not particularly adventurous but I have a busy week and needed something simple. Plus we had our first harvest of mushrooms to eat. Just under 1kg of freshly picked mushrooms. :D

...was last night.
Mushroom and caramelised onion tart, served with spicy Italian tofu sausages (homemade of course), roasted fennel and jacket potatoes stuffed with caramelised onion, coconut cheddar cheese and peas. Not particularly adventurous but I have a busy week and needed something simple. Plus we had our first harvest of mushrooms to eat. Just under 1kg of freshly picked mushrooms. :D
Coconut cheddar cheese? Jealous of the fresh mushrooms.

Coconut cheddar cheese? Jealous of the fresh mushrooms.
yep - the coconut cheese thing is a big thing here in Australia. It actually melts and grates really well. It just isn't a mature cheddar. I must try making my own. I have seen plenty of recipes for it and I have tried a melty style dairy free cheese in the past as well. This is the one that we can buy in the supermarket. http://www.mylifebio.net.au/cheddar-flavour/ It is actually a Greek product!

And mushrooms are really easy to grow. We can purchase the kit in a garden centre of DIY store with an outdoor area for around AUD$20. I will get several batches of mushrooms from the kit before it dies a natural death.

IMG_5803_colours.JPG

The first batch - they are actually white mushrooms, it is just I left picking them a touch too long and the big one spread some spores. No harm done though.

Silly question are you closer to the ocean or the outback?
Where I live is in the desert. I was wondering if that would make a difference on growing mushrooms.

Silly question are you closer to the ocean or the outback?
Where I live is in the desert. I was wondering if that would make a difference on growing mushrooms.

several hundred km's from the coast I think... not been there yet. I live in a typical eucalyptus gum tree area, that is native bush land (covering a mountainside at 800m) around here. The desert is inland from here, but not that far (huge excitement at the moment because for the first time in several generations (+30 years or more I understand) a local lake actually has water in it! The atmosphere is very dry normally - clothes on the washing line dry exceptionally quickly even when cloudy. I keep the box they grow in in a dark cupboard and water it daily with a spray mister. that is all that is needed. these ones are not outdoor mushrooms, though I guess I could grow them in a barn.

Right, today I made an Indian... OK its my adapted indian recipe which is here on CB somewhere. Loads of spices (asafoetida, turmeric, black cardamom, cumin seeds, ground cumin, sweet paprika, chilli powder, whole red and green chilli peppers, tamarind, and a few others I have forgotten, and fresh curry leave (yippee - I have finally found them).... onions, carrots, fresh tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, tvp mince, the vegemite jar rinsed out with hot water, more hot water, red lentils... served over brown basmati rice with 2 poached eggs (home grown)... you get the picture. It will be same again tomorrow night and then the night after. It serves around 6... roughly speaking. Any spare will be frozen for a night when my OH is not home.

Not sure about the title of this thread - a bit fatalistic, in a Last Supper kind of way. How does it differ from the "What I cooked toay thread"?

Not sure about the title of this thread - a bit fatalistic, in a Last Supper kind of way. How does it differ from the "What I cooked toay thread"?
I'm not a very regular cook so the title was intended to be more open (as opposed to 'today') :whistling:

I'm not a very regular cook so the title was intended to be more open (as opposed to 'today') :whistling:
Ah, I understand now. As in a "The Most recent meal I cooked " way, as opposed to "The Last meal I cooked" in a Roberta Flack deathbed confessional kind of way

Back
Top Bottom