The world food top 50 according to CNN

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
10:42 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
Your pick: World's 50 best foods

So the number one dish of the world according to CNN is Indonesian beef Rendang. As a Dutch person with Indonesian roots this fills me with joy, I love rendang.

However as a Dutch person I am also a little sad that we are not represented on this list at all, while we do have great dishes even if relatively unknown.

How do you feel about this top 50?

Wow, the top ten were Asian, half of it Thai. 30 out of 50 were Asian. That seems to be the hipster thing lately.

I have never even heard of Rendang. The list of ingredients in the description didn't do anything for me.

Merica got mentioned for Cheeseburgers and Potato Chips. Nice stereotype.

The meat in the "Fajitas" photo looks like chicken (#43). Fajitas are a Tex-Mex creation, and the word fajita in Mexican Spanish refers to skirt steak. Good way to offend Mexico and Texas in one selection.

France got one mention... and it was for the croissant?

CD

What a really strange list. I does seem very skewed in favour of far Eastern dishes. Potato chips? I does make you wonder about the demographics of the voters.

Wow, the top ten were Asian, half of it Thai. 30 out of 50 were Asian. That seems to be the hipster thing lately.

I have never even heard of Rendang. The list of ingredients in the description didn't do anything for me.

Merica got mentioned for Cheeseburgers and Potato Chips. Nice stereotype.

The meat in the "Fajitas" photo looks like chicken (#43). Fajitas are a Tex-Mex creation, and the word fajita in Mexican Spanish refers to skirt steak. Good way to offend Mexico and Texas in one selection.

France got one mention... and it was for the croissant?

CD

Rendang is an Indonesian beef stew, I really recommend you try it though I would not claim it's the ' best food in the world' , that seems a little over the top for any dish to claim.

It is weird they managed to make a list mentioning France only once, but the entirety of Europe was neglected on it. I wonder if the voters got a premade selection of dishes to vote for.

What an odd list....so many clichés and inaccuracies :meh: I suppose any such list is always going to be very subjective, though this one does seem to be more focused towards asian food. Having said that, I do like a good rendang :hungry:

I ended up taking a peek at the article and stopped reading after they mentioned they collected their data through a FB poll.

“According to CNN....” that it was quite enough to make me start to worry about it. And I was right: “Fettuccini (e! FettuccinE!) Alfredo (who??!!) - Italy. I wonder where is the mandolino...
And then a carousel of cliches about all the rest

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of Fettuccini Alfredo, too. At least they got it right with Pizza, a true universally loved Italian invention.

CD

Back
Top Bottom