The wrong and ( too) early Christmas exitement thread

I think we need to latch on to next Christmas. I don't go in for wishing time away, but I do look forward to a Covid free Christmas.
I don't normally like crowds, except at Christmas. One thing I really look forward to is taking a day just for myself, under the guise of Christmas shopping, and going to the posh shopping mall for the day.

I love getting a cup of coffee and some cake, wandering around looking at the window displays, getting a piece of mall pizza, appreciating people who are dressed beautifully for the season, and harshly judging those who look like nothing so much as a dirty duffel bag :)laugh:), getting some cheesy popcorn and a beer, and just walking up and down the main aisles getting my holiday batteries juiced up.

I'm really missing that this year. We're not under any real lockdown, but people are still staying home more, so every big store we've been to...not a lot of people, so just less of everything to appreciate.

I don't normally like crowds, except at Christmas. One thing I really look forward to is taking a day just for myself, under the guise of Christmas shopping, and going to the posh shopping mall for the day.

I love getting a cup of coffee and some cake, wandering around looking at the window displays, getting a piece of mall pizza, appreciating people who are dressed beautifully for the season, and harshly judging those who look like nothing so much as a dirty duffel bag :)laugh:), getting some cheesy popcorn and a beer, and just walking up and down the main aisles getting my holiday batteries juiced up.

I'm really missing that this year. We're not under any real lockdown, but people are still staying home more, so every big store we've been to...not a lot of people, so just less of everything to appreciate.
Rowan Atkinson (Rufus) - Gift Wrapping - (Love Actually) - YouTube

The Galleria in Dallas, a huge, very upscale mall, used to turn over an empty store to this guy who would take around three months building and HO Scale train setup that was AMAZING! I would go every year to see those trains. The ex-wife loved it, too. Her dad had to be dragged out of the place, or he would move in.

They don't have the trains, anymore -- they guy was old 20 years ago, so he may not be around anymore.

They do still have a pretty spectacular "tree" in the center of the ice skating rink...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GOmqnWFEJk

CD

I'll take a photo later - too dark atm. But I DID just now decorate my mantle with the Christmas village. I would have bought another house for it - Lowes has some great ones - but Lowes is too far from here to visit, and although it has a branch close enough when I go down to Connecticut for other errands, right now I can't go to another state (other than Vermont) without having to quarantine on my return. So, the last village house will have to wait until next year. Lowes actually has a lot of creative ideas (that I noticed in years past).

I put up the cotton snow, and then the village houses, and the trees I did purchase at Bed Bath and Beyond a few weeks back.

Houses: BBQ Shack (this one came from Lowes two or three years back and is lit if plugged in). All the others are items I painted while recuperating from knee surgery January 2018: Tavern, Pet Shop, Courthouse, 1852 Inn. I do have space for at least one more building, but not in the cards for this year.

I'm definitely missing evenings in the pub with their open fire. The light switch on in town with the craft and food market. And our usual trip to the Cologne Christmas markets.

Its only the 8th though....so there's still time for things to start feeling more festive 🎄🎅🎁

Yes, the public gatherings are feature I miss too. Though our village has put the tree up in the normal way, which I love. This is how our village square looks:

Does make me feel festive.

Back
Top Bottom