Recipe Tomato, basil, mozzarella galette

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:14 AM
full.jpg

Galette Dough

Makes Enough For Two 8 inch Galettes. I quite often make 1.5 recipes of dough and make a fruit galette for dessert. I make the 2 for the main part of the meal and place into oven, then make the dessert galette and put it in the oven after the others come out.

The cornmeal in this dough gives it a bit of crunch after baking and makes it sturdy enough to stand up to soft and syrupy fillings, as well as sturdy enough to be rolled to extreme thinness.

The dough can be made quickly either by hand or in a food processor.

INGREDIENTS
3 Tbsp sour cream (or yogurt or buttermilk)
1/3 cup (approximately) ice water
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 18 to 20 pieces

To Make The Dough By Hand:
Place the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a whisk or fork to mix. Drop the butter pieces into the bowl, tossing them once or twice just to coat them with flour. With a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour, aiming for pieces of butter that range in size from bread crumbs to small peas. The smaller pieces will make the dough tender, the larger ones will make it flaky.

Stir the sour cream and 1/3 cup ice water together with a whisk or fork in a small bowl. Sprinkle the cold sour cream mixture over the dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork to evenly distribute it. Continue to add the liquid mixture until the dough is moist enough to stick together when pressed. You may not need all the liquid mixture or you may need to add a little additional cold water depending on how dry your flour is. With your hands, gather the curds of dough together . This will be a very, very soft and sticky dough. Do not overwork.

To Make the Dough in a Food Processor:

Place the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with the metal blade; pulse to combine. Drop the butter pieces into the bowl and pulse 8 to 10 times or until the mixture is speckled with pieces of butter that vary in size from bread crumbs to peas. With the machine running, add the sour cream mixture in a steady stream and process just until the dough forms soft, moist curds.

Chilling The Dough:
Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured board, knead a couple of times to bring it together fully, and divide it in half (obviously, if you are making a batch and a half of dough, you would divide into 3 pieces) . Press each piece of dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Storing:
The dough can be kept in the refrigerator for a day or two, or it can be wrapped airtight and frozen for a month. Thaw, still wrapped, in the refrigerator. If you have the freezer room, it is convenient to roll the dough into rounds, place parchment between each round, and freeze them wrapped in plastic; this way you'll need only about 20 minutes to defrost a round of dough at room temperature before it can be filled, folded into a Galette, and baked.

Tomato & Cheese Galette

1 portion Galette Dough, chilled
8 oz fresh mozzarella, shredded
2/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn + some chiffonade of basil for garnish
3-4 ripe medium sized tomatoes, cut into 1/4" slices (I prefer to use cherry or grape tomatoes or the tiny Everglades tomatoes we grow)

1 egg, beaten, with 1-2 Tbsp water added for egg wash

Optional fillings: Black pepper, Parmigiano Reggiano, cooked pancetta or guanciale 1/4 inch cubes, prosciutto cubes (place underneath tomatos), cooked and crumbled bacon bits, whatever you'd like!

Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees. Place the rack in the lower third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Do this ahead of time, have it right next to your rolling space.

Roll out the dough to an 11-12 inch circle, about 1/8" thick on a lightly floured board. The dough is soft and difficult to work with. Do your best and be speedy. You'll need to lift it up now and then and toss some flour under it and over the top. Fold the dough into quarters and transfer onto the parchment paper on the baking sheet
full.jpg

Scatter the basil, then the cheese, then the tomatoes onto the dough, leaving a 1/1-2" to 2" border. Place any of the optional fillings under the tomatoes so they don't burn. If you are using tomato slices, place them in concentric circles, slightly overlapping. You can scatter some black pepper now if you like. Fold the uncovered border of the dough up over the filling, allowing the dough to pleat as you lift it up and work your way around the galette. This is a rustic dish, doesn't have to be perfect, just try to get the folds evenly distributed. Brush folded dough with egg wash.
full.jpg

Bake the galette for 35-40 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and allow the pastry to cool for 10 minutes. Then slide the galette off the baking sheet onto the rack to cool further.

Serve at room temperature with fresh basil leaves as a garnish.

Last edited:
Another tip I didn't put in the recipe. I've noticed a lot of times when using fresh mozzarella on pizzas and similar that you got a milkly liquid after cooking. So, this time, I put the slices on several layers of paper towels, more paper towels on top, then placed some weight on top for a couple of hours. A pretty good amount of liquid came out and was soaked up by the paper towels, so I'm going to do that from now on.

Another tip I didn't put in the recipe. I've noticed a lot of times when using fresh mozzarella on pizzas and similar that you got a milkly liquid after cooking. So, this time, I put the slices on several layers of paper towels, more paper towels on top, then placed some weight on top for a couple of hours. A pretty good amount of liquid came out and was soaked up by the paper towels, so I'm going to do that from now on.
When I use fresh mozz on pizza, I tear it into the size I want and squeeze the living crap out of it. Seems to work.

View attachment 43973

Galette Dough

Makes Enough For Two 8 inch Galettes. I quite often make 1.5 recipes of dough and make a fruit galette for dessert. I make the 2 for the main part of the meal and place into oven, then make the dessert galette and put it in the oven after the others come out.

The cornmeal in this dough gives it a bit of crunch after baking and makes it sturdy enough to stand up to soft and syrupy fillings, as well as sturdy enough to be rolled to extreme thinness.

The dough can be made quickly either by hand or in a food processor.

INGREDIENTS
3 Tbsp sour cream (or yogurt or buttermilk)
1/3 cup (approximately) ice water
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 18 to 20 pieces

To Make The Dough By Hand:
Place the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a whisk or fork to mix. Drop the butter pieces into the bowl, tossing them once or twice just to coat them with flour. With a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour, aiming for pieces of butter that range in size from bread crumbs to small peas. The smaller pieces will make the dough tender, the larger ones will make it flaky.

Stir the sour cream and 1/3 cup ice water together with a whisk or fork in a small bowl. Sprinkle the cold sour cream mixture over the dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork to evenly distribute it. Continue to add the liquid mixture until the dough is moist enough to stick together when pressed. You may not need all the liquid mixture or you may need to add a little additional cold water depending on how dry your flour is. With your hands, gather the curds of dough together . This will be a very, very soft and sticky dough. Do not overwork.

To Make the Dough in a Food Processor:

Place the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with the metal blade; pulse to combine. Drop the butter pieces into the bowl and pulse 8 to 10 times or until the mixture is speckled with pieces of butter that vary in size from bread crumbs to peas. With the machine running, add the sour cream mixture in a steady stream and process just until the dough forms soft, moist curds.

Chilling The Dough:
Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured board, knead a couple of times to bring it together fully, and divide it in half (obviously, if you are making a batch and a half of dough, you would divide into 3 pieces) . Press each piece of dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Storing:
The dough can be kept in the refrigerator for a day or two, or it can be wrapped airtight and frozen for a month. Thaw, still wrapped, in the refrigerator. If you have the freezer room, it is convenient to roll the dough into rounds, place parchment between each round, and freeze them wrapped in plastic; this way you'll need only about 20 minutes to defrost a round of dough at room temperature before it can be filled, folded into a Galette, and baked.

Tomato & Cheese Galette

1 portion Galette Dough, chilled
8 oz fresh mozzarella, shredded
2/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn + some chiffonade of basil for garnish
3-4 ripe medium sized tomatoes, cut into 1/4" slices (I prefer to use cherry or grape tomatoes or the tiny Everglades tomatoes we grow)

1 egg, beaten, with 1-2 Tbsp water added for egg wash

Optional fillings: Black pepper, Parmigiano Reggiano, cooked pancetta or guanciale 1/4 inch cubes, prosciutto cubes (place underneath tomatos), cooked and crumbled bacon bits, whatever you'd like!

Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees. Place the rack in the lower third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Do this ahead of time, have it right next to your rolling space.

Roll out the dough to an 11-12 inch circle, about 1/8" thick on a lightly floured board. The dough is soft and difficult to work with. Do your best and be speedy. You'll need to lift it up now and then and toss some flour under it and over the top. Fold the dough into quarters and transfer onto the parchment paper on the baking sheet
View attachment 43974

Scatter the basil, then the cheese, then the tomatoes onto the dough, leaving a 2"-3" border. Place any of the optional fillings under the tomatoes so they don't burn. If you are using tomato slices, place them in concentric circles, slightly overlapping. You can scatter some black pepper now if you like. Fold the uncovered border of the dough up over the filling, allowing the dough to pleat as you lift it up and work your way around the galette. This is a rustic dish, doesn't have to be perfect, just try to get the folds evenly distributed. Brush folded dough with egg wash.
View attachment 43975
Bake the galette for 35-40 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and allow the pastry to cool for 10 minutes. Then slide the galette off the baking sheet onto the rack to cool further.

Serve at room temperature with fresh basil leaves as a garnish.
I'm making this when summer gets here. A new one on me, but all the stuff I like. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom