Ingredients:

½ lb. Boneless Pork Loin, cut into four ½ inch thick pieces
2-3 Tbsp. Rice Flour
1 Egg White, beaten
¾ - 1 C. Panko
Salt & Pepper to taste
+/- 1 C. Any Neutral Oil

Method:

With the back of your Chef’s Knife, pound each cutlet on both sides, this will tenderize the meat.

Set up a usual breading station, with the Rice Flour, Egg White and Panko in separate dishes.

In a large fry pan (I like electric ones for a consistent heat), heat the Oil to 350°.

Season each cutlet on both sides with Salt & Pepper to taste.

Bread each cutlet, starting with the Rice Flour, shaking off any excess. Next dip into the Egg White, again, shaking off the excess. And then press each cutlet firmly into the Panko on both sides. Once completed, place the breaded cutlets on a rimmed sheet pan with a wire rack.

Place the pan into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow the breading to adhere better to the meat.

Your oil should be hot enough at this time, but test it in the way that you prefer, I use a wooden chopstick, if it bubbles madly, you're ready to fry the cutlets.

Fry each side of the cutlets to GBD (golden brown and delicious) and place on some paper towels to drain.

Slice each cutlet as shown below and serve.

IMG_1725.JPG

*Bonus recipe:
Tonkatsu Sauce

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. Ketchup
2 ¼ tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 ½ tsp. Oyster Sauce
1 tsp. Granulated Sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp. each toasted White and Black Sesame Seeds (or to taste)

Method:

Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

**Cook's Note:
I prefer to dipping each bite of Tonkatsu into the sauce rather than pouring it over the entire dish. I think it helps keep that crust that you've worked so hard at, crispy.
Also, any Katsu, be it pork, chicken or even Spam®, yes Spam® is lovely served on a bed of shredded Cabbage, along side some steamed Rice and the vegetable of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom