Travel Plans For 2023

So far we have booked a two week trip to the Peak District and surrounding area in our motorhome.
We've also booked a trip to France probably touring Northern Brittany, also in motorhome.
Not sure what else we are going to do. I'd like to get another French trip in.
A lot of people drive past The Peak District to get to the lakes and North Yorkshire. That's fine by me, it leaves it for us locals :D.

Do you know Derbyshire already?

A lot of people drive past The Peak District to get to the lakes and North Yorkshire. That's fine by me, it leaves it for us locals :D.

I am not familiar with the Peak District. I've been to the Lake District four times. There is a very nice (or was, at least) on Lake Windermere that I've stayed at a couple of times, including once on my honeymoon.

I always rent a car to drive through the Lake District, take in the scenery, and enjoy the winding roads.

Oh, and the *&%#$ swans at Windermere are as tall as I am. :eek:

CD

No almost not at all. In my travels I seem to have missed out the 'middle bit'. I've been up to the North East and down south.
Looking forward to correcting that error.

No almost not at all. In my travels I seem to have missed out the 'middle bit'. I've been up to the North East and down south.
Looking forward to correcting that error.

The entire UK can fit inside the state of Texas. Now, imagine trying to visit all 50 states in the US. That's on my travel bucket list. I've been to at least 40 (I may have undercounted).

I have to admit, there are a few I'm not in a hurry to visit... and a few I've been to that I don't care to go back to. :laugh:

CD

The entire UK can fit inside the state of Texas. Now, imagine trying to visit all 50 states in the US. That's on my travel bucket list. I've been to at least 40 (I may have undercounted).

I have to admit, there are a few I'm not in a hurry to visit... and a few I've been to that I don't care to go back to. :laugh:

CD
If I lived in the US I would almost certainly do exactly what Mrs Wysh and I are planning on retirement but in the US instead.
I would buy a motorhome (RV) and visit every state in the US.

I don't know how doable that is in America, in France, Germany, Italy etc you have stellplatz, camping car aires, sostas where you can stay overnight for free often in a small village. The most you might have to pay is a euro or two for water. Bargain, you wake up and a hundred metres away is the boulangerie selling fresh croissant.
In the UK a number of pubs and hotels do 'stopovers' where you can park your moho up for nothing, the only proviso is that you buy a meal and have a drink in the pub.
That way you only need a relatively expensive campsite once or twice week so you can sort out your toilet cassette and do your laundry.

End of April, I'm heading to Maryland for my mother's 90th birthday. June, my work is taking me to New Orleans (a place that I truly dislike) and Bremen (a place that I'm meh about). Fun travel is still up in the air- I love road trips, but I hate doing them alone.

If I lived in the US I would almost certainly do exactly what Mrs Wysh and I are planning on retirement but in the US instead.

I don't know how doable that is in America, in France, Germany, Italy etc you have stellplatz, camping car aires, sostas where you can stay overnight for free often in a small village. The most you might have to pay is a euro or two for water. Bargain, you wake up and a hundred metres away is the boulangerie selling fresh croissant.
In the UK a number of pubs and hotels do 'stopovers' where you can park your moho up for nothing, the only proviso is that you buy a meal and have a drink in the pub.
That way you only need a relatively expensive campsite once or twice week so you can sort out your toilet cassette and do your laundry.
It's doable here as well. There are some free campsites but there are also a lot that charge to camp. My sister was thinking about buying an RV, but who would drive it? I don't feel comfortable with her driving her car with me in it. I can't imagine her driving a camper, LOL.

How to Camp for Free in the United States

It is very popular here, especially with retired People.

You can buy a National Park pass (good for one year) and most states sell State Park passes. They save a ton of money if you use them a lot.

Also, many Walmart stores allow overnight camping, not to exceed one night at one location. That's great for when you are on the way to someplace distant, and just need a place to sleep for the night. It is customary to ask someone in the store if it is okay to camp for the night. Some cities don't allow it. Many people will also pop into the store and buy some groceries or something as a way of saying "Thanks."

"Stealth Camping" has picked up here. Basically, a motorhome that looks like a commercial van on the outside. They are usually built from Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, and RAM Promaster tall cargo vans, with custom built interiors.

CD

Last edited:
We leave this weekend for warmer weather! Lots of beach walking and fresh seafood 😋
EB-2.jpg

I spent a semester at the Karl-Franzens University back in the late 90s and absolutely loved the city. Managed to visit again a few years ago (on a trip that also took in LJubljana and Zagreb)...it hadn't changed much at all and still had all the charm I remembered. In fact your corner of Europe is one of my favourite areas....I just wish it was slightly closer to us so we could visit more often :love:
Oh how wonderful! Thank you for loving this corner of Europe...I would love it if it was closer, indeed. Just a few days ago I read that Croatia has been allowed into the group of countries that get easier access to the US, I forgot the 'code' name for the group...but, that aside, it really is a very far trip...and, along that avenue, this concert was postponed to this autumn...I do remember visiting Graz on several occasions, and several of my schoolmates went to Graz to further study music...it is a lovely town, yes, it might have changed, but not to unrecognizable, I hope:highfive:

I've only been to Dubrovnik, and only for a day. It was very nice, but didn't have time to do much exploring.

CD
Really? Wow. Dubrovnik was struggling with an overflow of cruising toursists, but I think they managed to cap it down with some schedules, if my memory serves me right. It is a dreamy city, with some non dreamy details, but it is very beautiful and old, I agree. I have been there for 4 x I'd say...but a fair while ago...just recently I had a talk with a coworker who lived there for 10+ years, she even recommended a little place called Mlini, south of Dubrovnik, for the people who visited perhaps many times and want to be close by, but not at the city itself...I love Dubrovnik, the steep stone rushing to the sea, the turqoise colour of the deep sea, the bright pink buganvillia flowers and the accent that the locals use...we have 3 coworkers form Dubrovnik at present...so I get to ehar it daily...

Back
Top Bottom