Travel Plans For 2024

Hey dont pick on Cornwall. That's my roots.
To be honest, I haven't been to Cornwall since 1971. Place called Mousehole!
Apparently, there's a lot of bad blood between the locals and the 2nd home buyers. Surveys say the Cornish are very anti-tourist, but that's only what I've read.Probably totally untrue.

To be honest, I haven't been to Cornwall since 1971. Place called Mousehole!
Apparently, there's a lot of bad blood between the locals and the 2nd home buyers. Surveys say the Cornish are very anti-tourist, but that's only what I've read.Probably totally untrue.

Yeah they hate tourists
Ramsey has a home there. Lot of unemployment as well. We were there a week or so. In 98 so going back a bit.

Russ

Yeah they hate tourists
Ramsey has a home there. Lot of unemployment as well.
Sort of cutting off their nose to spite their face. Never understood that attitude. I mean, if people are coming to your town, spending money, keeping the pubs, shops, restaurants going - what's the beef?
Ramsay's got a house in Rock, closer to Padstow than St Ives. Locals hate him, although (apparently) you can't even see his house from the road!

Sort of cutting off their nose to spite their face. Never understood that attitude. I mean, if people are coming to your town, spending money, keeping the pubs, shops, restaurants going - what's the beef?
Ramsay's got a house in Rock, closer to Padstow than St Ives. Locals hate him, although (apparently) you can't even see his house from the road!

We have a small town called akaroa. French originally settled think they discovered it. Bu boo. (Buzzer noise)
Itd absolutely beautiful 1 hrs drive from here.1 main rd over the hill to there. The people that live there absolutely hate cruise liners parked off shore and tourists coming to see their town.
Unbelievable when you think of the $$$$$

Russ

I dont think I would get to Boston although I love their accent. Proper posh

Lol

Russ
I actually loved it there. I saw so much unbelievable history. I saw the graves of Benjamin Franklin's parents, also Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and more. Gorgeous old architecture. I saw where Paul Revere's smithy was located. I saw the place in the Boston Harbor where the Boston Tea Party occurred. I could go on and on. Also went on a whale watching trip, and not far away is Plymouth...I saw the Plymouth rock where the pilgrims stepped upon arrival to America. And don't get me started on the fresh seafood and delicious beer!

Last edited:
So sorry to hear.
Not at all! I think it was really the best decision for me. I didn't even know how bad of a decision it would be until finding out I just feel so much lighter now. I can't even explain it. I did like him and I was excited about the honeymoon. But something just didn't feel right and it had not been feeling right for a while.

We finally have a holiday to another country booked! This summer we're going to Düsseldorf in Germany for 5 days, including my birthday! My husband is still suffering from a burnout, so long distance travel wasn't an option and staying away from home for very long wasn't either. But I'm happy either way, so glad to be able to go :D

I'm not getting married after all :laugh: And I'm not in a relationship anymore either!
You do seem content about it, so I'm very glad you didn't make the mistake of committing to someone who wasn't right for you. I had a couple of "Mr. Right for right now" guys that I'm glad I didn't marry. I didn't meet Mr OH until I was 37. You'll know when you know!

Not at all! I think it was really the best decision for me. I didn't even know how bad of a decision it would be until finding out I just feel so much lighter now. I can't even explain it. I did like him and I was excited about the honeymoon. But something just didn't feel right and it had not been feeling right for a while.

I just found this thread, started at page 1, and decided to skim through before congratulating you. Just as well! But, I can congratulate you on making the decision that was right for you. Too many people jump into marriage for the wrong reasons (because their parents want them to, because of their age, because their friends are all married) but don't consider that marriage is supposed to be forever. Make sure it's really right before you get married.

Having said that, I proposed to my wife after only knowing her for 2 months, and we got married 6 months after that. This year will be our 29th anniversary. But, we **KNEW** that we were right for each other (I knew the moment I met her, which I know doesn't make any sense).

As for travel plans, we don't normally plot these things out too far in advance, despite the expense involved. This is the first year we haven't been thinking about a specific destination. But, I've had an idea to revisit places that represent our roots in Europe. We visited Henridorff, in Alsace, and lost the camera that had all but one of the pictures. And, while we traveled close to where my dad grew up in northern Italy, we never went to where he lived. It would be great to go to both, and take a lot of pictures.

We do an annual trip to Mackinac Island in northern Michigan. We bring our dogs, since they can be taken to businesses throughout the island, which greatly restricts the use of motor vehicles (just about all travel is via horsedrawn carriage)

Having said that, I proposed to my wife after only knowing her for 2 months, and we got married 6 months after that. This year will be our 29th anniversary. But, we **KNEW** that we were right for each other (I knew the moment I met her, which I know doesn't make any sense).
I totally think that makes sense. Mr. OH and I were both the same way and have now been together for 24 years (25 in August). One of my cousins met her husband while they were on spring break in Cancun over 40 years ago, and after talking, found out that they were both from the same town (but went to different out-of-town colleges in their state). He called his mother when he got back to his college from spring break and said, "Mom, I've just met the girl I am going to marry." My cuz didn't make it easy for him, though. He had asked for her number but she didn't give it to him, and she also didn't give him her last name, so back in the times before the internet he had to do a lot of work to find her. Thankfully they were from a very small town.

Although I do know people who were friends first and love developed slowly...things happen differently for some people I guess.

Good decision! I did that once too and never regretted it

Back
Top Bottom