Trying to learn something about Asian seafood seasoning

nopeda

Über Member
Local time
8:10 PM
Hi,

I've been to several Chinese/Asian(?) buffets over the years and especially like the "seafood delight" that they offer. They are certainly not all the same... the first one I enjoyed had fake crab, shrimp, mushrooms, water chestnuts, broccoli, and whatever else. Others have had the same or fewer items, the least of which had only the fake crab and shrimp. But they all seem to have had a similar seasoning flavor. Do any of you know what I'm referring to, and if so if it's possible to purchase at a supermarket like Walmart or Publix, or a specialty place, and what specifically to buy to get that flavor at home? I'm trying to get that flavor to make something with fake crab and mushrooms with a sauce to put over rice. Something not too high in fat, or sodium either if possible.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
David

David,
See if there is an Asian market in your town. I haven't seen anything like that at Walmart.

Not finding recipes either.

I'm thinking the flavor you are looking for is possibly from the sauce called "lobster sauce".

Mind you, there is no lobster in it. It is a white sauce that is poured over a steamed, cracked lobster, hence the name.
It's actually a Chinese American invention.

The sauce is thick and white-ish, and is made from ginger and garlic infused stock, egg, peas, scallions, a little ground pork, and cornstarch as a thickener.

I often order shrimp in lobster sauce. The next time you're getting Chinese take out, order a small shrimp and lobster sauce and see if that's it.

I'm thinking the flavor you are looking for is possibly from the sauce called "lobster sauce".

Mind you, there is no lobster in it. It is a white sauce that is poured over a steamed, cracked lobster, hence the name.
It's actually a Chinese American invention.

The sauce is thick and white-ish, and is made from ginger and garlic infused stock, egg, peas, scallions, a little ground pork, and cornstarch as a thickener.

I often order shrimp in lobster sauce. The next time you're getting Chinese take out, order a small shrimp and lobster sauce and see if that's it.
Thank you for that! I went to Publix and tried to find some in the spices area, but couldn't find any. Then went back and asked the seafood guy but he didn't know anything about it, and it wasn't with any of the seafood seasonings in the seafood section either. I guess I'll Google it...

Thanks again,
David

Back
Top Bottom