Recipe Tuna and sweetcorn slice

Local time
6:26 AM
Website
www.helium.com
I found this recipe on the BBC Good Food website today, and I thought it looked lovely. Cheap, quick and easy to make as well. I love tuna, and I'm always looking for different ways to serve it. I reckon some red pepper would be good in there as well.

Arch, it might make a change from pasta for you, and you could take it to lunch cold next day - if there's any left. :roflmao:

Ingredients
  • 320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
  • 185g can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
  • 325g can sweetcorn, drained
  • 3 tbsp crème fraîche
  • 50g cheddar, grated
  • a few chives, snipped to 1cm lengths
Method
  1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7. Lay the pastry out on a baking sheet. Pinch up the edges to form a border, pressing firmly into the corners. Prick the centre all over with a fork and pop in the oven for 10-15 mins.
  2. Meanwhile, mix the tuna and sweetcorn in a bowl and season.
  3. Remove the pastry from the oven, pressing the centre down with the back of a fork, as it will have puffed up a bit. Spread the crème fraîche across centre, spoon the tuna mix on top, then sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 10-15 mins more, until golden, puffed up and cooked though. Sprinkle with chives and cut into quarters.

Ooh yes, that looks nice!

Might have to treat myself to a pack of frozen pastry.

It reminds me a bit of Tarte Flambee, although that's a bread base, a sort of tomato-free pizza.

(I had that once in an Alasation restaurant in Annecy. Followed by the biggest Isle Flottante I've ever seen. Our waiter was young, and not so confident in English, and before he came to take our drinks order, I heard him ask a colleague "What's the English for aperitif?")

Hmm, thinking about it, I could cook it for the two of us when NT is over here. Although I'm not sure about Creme Fraiche with his lactose intolerance. Do you reckon cream cheese would do? I know he can eat that (cheese is ok, because the lactose has been fermented).

Yes, Arch, I reckon cream cheese would be a good substitute - or yogurt, if he can tolerate that. That tarte flambee looks nice as well - I've not come across that before, but we get smoked bacon lardons here, so I might have a go at that.

Well, that's been given the NT seal of approval!

And mine!

I was a bit alarmed at how much the pastry puffed up on the first bake, it was like a pillow, but I just battered the middle flat again. Cream Cheese worked fine. I didn't have chives, but seasoned the tuna and swwetcorn mix well with black pepper, and laid some strips of orange pepper over the top before the second cooking period, which I lowered the temperature for a bit, as the pastry was already nicely brown around the edges.

We're thinking of other combinations now - anything that goes on pizza really. Ham and spinach might be nice.

Oh, and I had to do two half sized ones, as I didn't have a baking sheet large enough for a whole sheet of pastry. We've finished off 3/4 of it between two...
:thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it, Arch. I knew there wouldn't be much left! Ham and spinach would be good - chicken, sweetcorn and leek might work as well. Over here, we get fresh tuna and bacon pizzas, so that might be worth a try as well. You've definitely spurred me on to try it this week.

UPDATE: We had it again tonight, only replaced the tuna with thin slices of Chorizo. This time, instead of pinching the edge up, I folded it over all the way round, and that worked better at retaining the shape after the first bake.

Another thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Looks delicious to me. Will surely try it out this weekend. My kids will love it.

Back
Top Bottom