Recipe Tuna Carpaccio Salad, Fusion-Style

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:25 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
We are taking some good ideas from an Italian approach and a Japanese approach. I made this as a small luncheon plate rather than a full-blown main dish.

tuna-served-.jpg

Use sushi-grade yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares). Bluefin tuna (T. maccoyii, T. thynnus, T. orientalis) are endangered; and white “tuna” is really all too often a fish known as escolar (Lepidocybium flavobrunneum), and NOT remotely a tuna fish at all. This latter does taste really good if properly sourced, but it may play havoc on many digestive systems (including mine) no matter how sourced. Honestly, not fun at all. According to Wikipedia, this has often been termed “the Ex-Lax fish”. Some people suggest you can eat a few ounces with no ill effect – not me! At any rate, if you can find sushi grade albacore (T. alalunga), that’s probably the least problematic tuna to use for this dish, environmentally speaking, but at least where I live, it is seldom found. .

I combined East and West in this interpretation. This made for an enjoyable dish.

Do enjoy, or riff off on this, as you have the opportunity.

Tuna Carpaccio Salad, Fusion Style

INGREDIENTS

• A good handful of pea shoots, or watercress. Whichever is available to you.
  • Cucumber. If it is large and especially if it is waxy, I’d peel the skin. This one was small and from a local greenhouse farm. Use about 4-6 ounces, and slice thin.
  • One hard boiled chicken egg. (Mine was pickled previously in 1:1 red wine vinegar to water, for five days. This is not essential.)
  • Approximately 6 ounces sushi-grade yellowtail tuna. Slice thin, best done when still partially frozen.
  • IF you are not using a pickled egg (you probably aren’t) use about 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar.
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon balsamic reduction (white or dark).
  • 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (hot or regular as you choose)
  • Heaping quarter teaspoon of black roasted sesame seeds.
METHOD

Lay the greens down on a small plate (one plate per person listed in the recipe).
Lay down the cucumber slices.
Slice the egg on the bias, and lay those sections down on the plate.
Lay down the slices of tuna.
If your egg isn’t pickled, splash around rice vinegar. In any case, follow this by spritzing some of the balsamic reduction. And then a swipe of the sesame oil.
Finalize with the sesame seeds.
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom