Tuna Salad Sandwich Problem

Matilda

Local time
3:52 PM
I tried making a tuna salad, haven't made one in several years, and the next day it was soggy. Looked like it was separating. Liquid in the bottom of the bowl. Any idea how "not" to get this problem? I rinse and dry my tuna, drain the relish, pat the relish with a paper towel to remove any liquid. Mix in the mayo, and the next day...soggy! I've tried different recipes, different ingredients, and always the same problem. I've noticed some recipes call for lemon juice. Does that do anything?

I tried making a tuna salad, haven't made one in several years, and the next day it was soggy. Looked like it was separating. Liquid in the bottom of the bowl. Any idea how "not" to get this problem? I rinse and dry my tuna, drain the relish, pat the relish with a paper towel to remove any liquid. Mix in the mayo, and the next day...soggy! I've tried different recipes, different ingredients, and always the same problem. I've noticed some recipes call for lemon juice. Does that do anything?

I presume you are using tinned tuna? Is it in oil or in water? Also - what kind of relish?

Tinned in water. Drained, rinsed, squeezed dry by hand then paper towel.
Sweet pickle relish. Drained in a colander, and patted with a paper towel.
Dukes mayo.

I've never made tuna salad that doesn't release liquid, I just mix it back in. It doesn't change the taste so I'm not concerned. I make mine with oil packed, yellowfin, mayo, chopped hard boiled eggs, finely chopped celery, finely chopped onion, dill relish and ground black pepper. I call it my "Deli Tuna Special".

Back
Top Bottom