• 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 1 tbsp paprika powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 green chilies
  • 1 tomato
Instructions
  1. Thrust the eggplants with a fork and roast together with the chilies over the stove or in the oven until the flesh is smoky and soft
  2. Cut and peel the skin of the eggplants, clean the seeds
  3. Transfer the eggplant into a strainer and gently press to strain the excess liquid
  4. Chop the eggplants into a mash
  5. Peel and smash the garlic cloves with a pinch of salt
  6. Clean and cut the meat into small size cubes
  7. In a large pan, start cooking the meat cubes on high heat
  8. Sautee on medium-high heat for 5 minutes and once they release the liquid, add the butter and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes
  9. Season with salt and black pepper to taste (optional)
  10. As soon as they are cooked and get a slight brown color, add the paprika powder.
  11. Cook for another minute stirring the meat with paprika powder to give a nice red color
  12. Slice the tomatoes and roasted chilies
  13. Transfer the eggplants, garlic and the yogurt into a bowl and mix
  14. Layer the yogurt eggplant mix to a serving plate
  15. Add the meat on top
  16. Drizzle the paprika butter to garnish
  17. Garnish with roasted chilies and tomatoes on the sides

I may be getting eggplant in my next produce box (Jan) - if so, this is what I'll try. I've never cooked eggplant before.

I may be getting eggplant in my next produce box (Jan) - if so, this is what I'll try. I've never cooked eggplant before.
Eggplant is very bland. It needs to be in recipes with bold seasonings and flavors.

What kind of produce box do you get? Is it one of those monthly mail order boxes? I've been thinking of trying that. How does it work?

Eggplant is very bland. It needs to be in recipes with bold seasonings and flavors.

What kind of produce box do you get? Is it one of those monthly mail order boxes? I've been thinking of trying that. How does it work?
There's a little organic farm right down the road from us, about three miles. They do a winter farm share program. For $200, you get four boxes of produce; one each month from October through January, so $50 each.

What I like: each box is a lot of high-quality veg, easily enough for 4-6 people.

What I don't like: it's a lot and a lot of it ended up going bad before I could use it, and I don't always like the selection (so much arugula), which isn't customizable.

That first issue is on me, because I could have saved a lot more more if it'd just prepped it, blanched it, and froze it. But I'm lazy that way. :)

Items have included leaf lettuce, head lettuce, arugula, chard, kale,
three kinds of peppers, five kinds of squash, two kinds of onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, garlic, beets, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

I'm terrible at being handed a bunch of ingredients and building a menu around that, so part of the reason I wanted to try it was to make myself better at that. I think I failed. :laugh:

Pics:
What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today?

Last edited:
TastyReuben, thanks for explaining. It does sound like a deal but only if you get the value of the ingredients. I think it's hard to come up with menu ideas based on ingredients so I usually rely on sites where you can search for recipes with specific items.

Based on your other posts and photos, I would be hard-pressed to use the word "lazy". You're the only person on the planet that I know that does an afternoon tea! Maybe the Queen does but she has like 4,000 assistants to do her bidding. LOL

Hey that really surprised me. Is there a reason for that?
Yes...it seems to be something I wouldn't like. I've never eaten it, either. :)

Seriously, probably just because we never grew them growing up. I never even saw an eggplant until I was probably 25yo. The only restaurants here that sell eggplant dishes are Italian and ME places.

If I'm at an Italian restaurant (by which I mean, Italian-American), there are about 300 things I'm going to get before I get eggplant, and we don't eat at ME restaurants because MrsT doesn't like that cuisine very much.

Must do! Its not a shorthand we use in the UK.
Yes, ME = Middle Eastern. Unfortunately, while I like some of that cuisine, and Turkish, and Northern Africa, MrsT is definitely not a fan, so it's not something we would go out for.

The last time, four or five years ago, we met some family in a large group with several veg* diners, so everyone decided on a place that does that sort of stuff, and she had...bread. We ended up getting her something from McD's on the way home. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom