Recipe & Video Turkish Ezogelin Soup (Spicy Red Lentil and Bulgur Soup)

Hungry Man

Local time
1:40 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
Turkish Ezogelin Soup - A Hearty, Mint-flavored Soup
View: https://youtu.be/xNdXAd6tWUk

Ingredients:
  • Red lentils, 1 cup (200 g)
  • Rice, 1/4 cup (30 g)
  • Bulgur, 1/4 cup (45 g)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tbsp chili paste
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp olive / vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp dried mint
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • ½ lemon
  • Salt to taste

Instructions:
  1. Wash the lentils and the rice until the water comes out clear
  2. In a small pan, add the lentils and add ½ liter hot water, 1 tsp salt and bring to boil
  3. Cook for 10 minutes and remove the foam on top with a spoon
  4. Add the rice and bulgur, cook for another 15 minutes while preparing the rest of the ingredients
  5. Finely chop the onion and the garlic, set aside
  6. In a large pan on low heat, melt the butter and add the oil
  7. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until soft and translucent
  8. Then, add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 – 2 minutes until fragrant
  9. Add the chili paste and the tomato paste
  10. Add 1 tsp mint, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp cumin and 2 tsp salt
  11. Cook and stir for 3 -4 minutes until fragrant and the paste is cooked
  12. Add 2 cups of cold water and stir to combine while bringing to a simmer
  13. Transfer the cooked lentils, bulgur and rice into the pot, add 1 cup beef broth
  14. Whisk to combine and while simmering on low heat for 10 mins until you get a thicker consistency
  15. Add the juice of ½ lemon and add the remaining 1 tsp dried mint and 1 tsp chili flakes before serving
  16. Serve with additional lemon slices and enjoy warm

Lovely soup.
Saw your Pogaca video recipe on youtube. Wonderful. We also use the word Pogača in Croatia. I would love to try making Pogača. Absolutely love dill.

Will wait for the recipe to see what kind of cheese you used. Feta?

Lovely soup.
Saw your Pogaca video recipe on youtube. Wonderful. We also use the word Pogača in Croatia. I would love to try making Pogača. Absolutely love dill.

Will wait for the recipe to see what kind of cheese you used. Feta?
Hello, I've used Turkish white cheese but it's almost the same with feta, so feta is perfectly fine! I'm also suggesting alternative ingredients (e.g. white cheese or feta) on Youtube in the description :okay:

Hello, I've used Turkish white cheese but it's almost the same with feta, so feta is perfectly fine! I'm also suggesting alternative ingredients (e.g. white cheese or feta) on Youtube in the description :okay:
Hello, oh sorry, did not open the description on yt, don't know why🙈...
Lovely! Thank you👍😊

I am a massive fan of mint in many applications. I would feel inclined to put fresh mint in this. Would you recommend using dried mint instead? I have some in my cabinet, of course, but I rarely use it. I do recall Morning Glory mentioning that dried mint is more of a thing on the other side of the pond than it is here.

Last edited:
I am a massive fan of mint in many applications. I would feel inclined to put fresh mint in this. Would you recommend using dried mint instead? I have some in my cabinet, of course, but I rarely use it. I do recall Morning Glory mentioning that dried mint is more of a thing on the other side of the pond than it is here.
Fresh mint can also be used but it's not a common application for hot served soups in Turkey. They are more often used in cold dishes (cold yogurt soup for example).

I just cooked a Red lentils Cheddar Dahl. The colour of my Dahl is brighter yellowish ocer...next time I might experiment with red colouring spices to get a more red-ish nuance but it tastes :okay:
or you can add 1 - 2 tbsp chili / tomato paste before adding the lentils, more effective in terms of texture and color..

I've never used dried mint, I have two large plants at the side of my home. Have you tried mint rhaita? I make it all the time.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom