Recipe Turmeric Stuffed Eggplant/Aubergine

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
8:11 AM
This is definitely out of the box for me. Skip the cheese and use Panko for a Vegan dish.
INGREDIENTS
2 medium eggplants/aubergine
1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked Basmati rice
1 16 oz. can Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup small dice carrots
1 Tsp micro planed garlic
1 TBSP micro planed fresh ginger
4 or 5 thickly sliced Cremini mushrooms
3 Tsp + 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
EVOO
Vegetable stock if needed
Pinch Cayenne
Sea salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Optional: 1 1/2 cups micro planed Parm R

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F
  2. Brush a sheet pan or baking dish with a thin film of EVOO
  3. Cook the Basmati with a Tsp of salt and 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
  4. Drain the Chick Peas reserving the can liquid. Do not wash.
  5. Cut the eggplant in half length wise. Use a pairing knife to cross hatch the flesh. Gently remove the flesh leaving a 1/2" of flesh in the shells. Chop the eggplant.
  6. In a ramekin stir together three TBSP EVOO, 1 Tsp Turmeric, 1 Tsp salt. Toss the eggplant with the oil, salt and Turmeric. Set aside.
  7. In a heavy sauté pan or Dutch oven heat 2 TBSP EVOO. Add onions and carrots. Cook until onions are transparent. Add eggplant, garlic and ginger. The eggplant will quickly absorb the pan liquid. Add can liquid from chick peas, reduce heat and simmer until eggplant is cooked. Add mushrooms and chickpeas. If more liquid is needed add vegetable broth a TBSP at a time. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, Chick Peas 2 Tsp Turmeric and pinch of Cayenne. Combine all ingredients. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. I also added another Tsp of Turmeric. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed..
  8. Brush the inside of the shells with EVOO and place on sheet pan r baking dish. Fill the shells with the filling. Top with Parm R if using or top with Panko.
  9. Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes - until cheese starts soaking into the stuffing.

NOTE: You can freeze the stuffed eggplant before adding topping.
George's reaction. This is really good. Did you think of adding shrimp? :laugh:
BTW: I made this last night and served it roasted vegetables.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is definitely out of the box for me. Skip the cheese and use Panko for a Vegan dish.
INGREDIENTS
2 medium eggplants/aubergine
1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked Basmati rice
1 16 oz. can Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans
1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup small dice carrots
1 Tsp micro planed garlic
1 TBSP micro planed fresh ginger
4 or 5 thickly sliced Cremini mushrooms
3 Tsp + 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
EVOO
Vegetable stock if needed
Pinch Cayenne
Sea salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Optional: 1 1/2 cups micro planed Parm R

METHOD
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F
  2. Brush a sheet pan or baking dish with a thin film of EVOO
  3. Cook the Basmati with a Tsp of salt and 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
  4. Drain the Chick Peas reserving the can liquid. Do not wash.
  5. Cut the eggplant in half length wise. Use a pairing knife to cross hatch the flesh. Gently remove the flesh leaving a 1/2" of flesh in the shells. Chop the eggplant.
  6. In a ramekin stir together three TBSP EVOO, 1 Tsp Turmeric, 1 Tsp salt. Toss the eggplant with the oil, salt and Turmeric. Set aside.
  7. In a heavy sauté pan or Dutch oven heat 2 TBSP EVOO. Add onions and carrots. Cook until onions are transparent. Add eggplant, garlic and ginger. The eggplant will quickly absorb the pan liquid. Add can liquid from chick peas, reduce heat and simmer until eggplant is cooked. Add mushrooms and chickpeas. If more liquid is needed add vegetable broth a TBSP at a time. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, Chick Peas 2 Tsp Turmeric and pinch of Cayenne. Combine all ingredients. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. I also added another Tsp of Turmeric. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed..
  8. Brush the inside of the shells with EVOO and place on sheet pan r baking dish. Fill the shells with the filling. Top with Parm R if using or top with Panko.
  9. Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes - until cheese starts soaking into the stuffing.

View attachment 52810

NOTE: You can freeze the stuffed eggplant before adding topping.
George's reaction. This is really good. Did you think of adding shrimp? :laugh:
BTW: I made this last night and served it roasted vegetables.
Tell George he's a real pescatarian and see how he reacts! :laugh:

:laugh:
He is a heavy meat and seafood eater. He understood that he got his protein from the chick peas but he needs a more familiar source of protein.

ElizabethB, I made your recipe. I didn't notice it until I started, but you have "add chick peas" twice. Also, I had too much filling for the two halves of eggplant. The dish is tasty. Thanks for posting it.

The picture isn't that pretty. Still learning how to get good lighting.

Edited to add: I cut off a small sliver from the bottom so it would lay flat on the pan and plate.

20201219_111001c.jpg

Last edited:
ElizabethB, I made your recipe. I didn't notice it until I started, but you have "add chick peas" twice. Also, I had too much filling for the two halves of eggplant. The dish is tasty. Thanks for posting it.

The picture isn't that pretty. Still learning how to get good lighting.

Edited to add: I cut off a small sliver from the bottom so it would lay flat on the pan and plate.

View attachment 53135

I so love it when members cook recipes from other members. The lighting is in fact OK and quite atmospheric. But it looks to me as if you haven't go your phone camera set to the highest resolution.

To pretty up a dish which looks a bit brownish or beige (lots do!) sprinkle something green over the top for contrast.

Yep - a bit of a repetition re 'chickpeas'. Easily done. I've lost count of the number of slight errors I've made in writing up recipes! I don't think it would make much difference which of these stages you add the chickpeas, though.

Add mushrooms and chickpeas. If more liquid is needed add vegetable broth a TBSP at a time. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, Chick Peas 2 Tsp Turmeric and pinch of Cayenne.

I do like this sound of this recipe a lot.

Sorry about the repetition. This is the first time I intentionally made a vegetarian dish - vegan if you use Panko instead of cheese.
MJ - the recipe is for two eggplants. If you have left over filling cook it in a casserole dish.

Reactions: mjd
Sorry about the repetition. This is the first time I intentionally made a vegetarian dish - vegan if you use Panko instead of cheese.
MJ - the recipe is for two eggplants. If you have left over filling cook it in a casserole dish.

Oh, no dear. It wasn't a complaint. I just wanted to let you know.

I did bake the rest of the filling. I really like this recipe and will make again.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom