TV Cooking Shows

I used to love watching the Two Fat Ladies too. Did you know that Clarissa is a recovering alcoholic. She's done marvellously! There's another UK show called "Ade in Britain", where Adrian Edmonson travels around the country trying the regional foods. He always cooks up a traditional meal on his little camping stove at the end of the show and shares it out. I've really enjoyed watching him do something completely different to his usual British toilet humour roles.

I never knew that she's a recovering alcoholic!!:ohmy:
I loved Paula Deen's shows also!! The Food Network Donald Trumped her because of the alleged racial remark that she supposedly made about some black children years ago. :ohmy:

Yeah, I also liked Good Eats, which for a while, as out on DVD. But as time went on, I become grossly so sick to death of hearing Alton Brown talk, especially on the show Iron Chef America!! I was so sick of hearing say that phrase; "Gosh darn it!!!" I used to say; "Stop it!!!" :mad: :stop:

I loved Gordon Elliot's Door Knock Dinners!! I aired on the Food Network.
It was about the show showing up unannounced with a celeb cook offering to whip up a dinner, using just whatever the families had in the kitchen cupboards, fridge & freezer.
That show is when I first saw Paula Deen in one of the eps!! :wink:

Some of these old shows can be seen on the Food Network's sister cable network The Cooking Channel from time to time. :wink:

I used to love watching the Two Fat Ladies too. Did you know that Clarissa is a recovering alcoholic. She's done marvellously! There's another UK show called "Ade in Britain", where Adrian Edmonson travels around the country trying the regional foods. He always cooks up a traditional meal on his little camping stove at the end of the show and shares it out. I've really enjoyed watching him do something completely different to his usual British toilet humour roles.
i watched a series of ade,but i still see him as vivienne in the young ones,the programme had the same set up as the hungry sailors,ade is also a good musician,i saw him play at camp bestival
ade.jpg

Rick stein is a good cook ,he has done many tv shows,he is well known for fish,he is from a small Cornish fishing village ,called padstow or padstein it is as busy now as any town on market day summer ,thousands flock there ,he owns most of the town,
Him self ,he is very articulate in his nature and manor,and his shows are just a little slower

I like Robert Irvine's Dinner Impossible & Restaurant Impossible. Also Giada DeLaurentez's Everyday Italian & Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals!!

Most of the 30-minute cooking shows were traded in for those exasperating & annoying challenge shows, which just get under my skin!!

And the disease that started it all was that stupid & ridiculous Food Network Challenge!!!!!! That show was on sow many bloody times!!! Boy, I hated it with pure passion something fierce!!!!!! :mad: :stop:

Something that always made me feel queasy was "Man vs. Food". The food looked amazing but watching Adam Richman shovel it all in was awful. He always loked close to death by the time he'd finished. He's been on a health kick recently though and looks so much better for it. Here he is, before and after.

o-ADAM-RICHMAN-570.jpg

I used to like watching America's Test Kitchen. I also liked The Chew for a while. I will watch almost any cooking show but there's no one's style I particularly am a big fan of, so there's not a lot of shows I would watch religiously. That said I think Mario Batali makes some of the easiest and best looking Italian food, so if I had to pick a fav I would pick to watch him on The Chew.

I also liked Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Cooking on late Sunday mornings!! I watched her a awful lot!!
She came from a not-so-well-to-do family, and they had to budget themselves often in life, because their budget was always curtail due to shortness of income.
She carried that tradition on to her show, which she likes to budget and save on food / meal costs. :wink:

I love any shows about Chinese cooking, particularly featuring Ken Hom, he would often cook dishes outside on the street on his programmes and has an entertaining style of cooking. His book Ken Hom's Chinese cookery has sold over 15 million copies.

Another Chef who follows Ken Hom's style is Ching He Huang, she will also demonstrate and cook dishes out on the street on her show. They made a programme together called exploring China: a culinary adventure. They travelled across China sampling the food, history and culture.

Gordon Ramsey would like to say thank you to all his fans who watch his programmes, buy his books and make his restaurants busy , sorry he can't thank you himself but he's gone for a drive in his 1 million pound le Ferrari he's just bought , I believe it's his 14 th Ferrari,

I believe "Two Fat Ladies" is available on Netflix - at least it used to be, since that's where I originally discovered it and binge watched all the episodes. Sadly, Clarissa had passed away last year as well. She had a pretty interesting life though, inheriting millions after her mothers death, only to be homeless a few years later.

I mainly a was watching the shows over at The Cooking Channel as well as America's Test Kitchen these days as I've really grown tired with Food Network's programming, which has been on the decline in recent years. At least on America's Test Kitchen, they stick to actual recipes and appliance reviews, as opposed to Food Network which is all competition shows and lifestyle shows - the cooking is an afterthought. I tried suffering through a few episodes of The Kitchen and it's so painfully awful to watch I had to shut it off. Sunny and Jeff act like clowns trying to entertain kids at a birthday party - it's so condescending to the viewer, like we're little incompetent imbeciles with the attention spans of a gnat or something. The recipes on the show sound like something amateurs would throw together, not something real chefs would cook, then the rest of them all "ooh" and "ahhh!" over them as if they really like them. It's so god awful fake and forced.

I love cooking competition shows! Top Chef, chopped, masterchef, iron chef, you name it. The only show I don't really enjoy watching is probably the US hells kitchen. Watching Gordon Ramsey yell profanities at contestants the whole time has gotten way too old.

Well recently I stumbled on the Food Network channel and just got locked in. Surprisingly I did not end up sobbing for someone who was "chopped" or something like that. They just kept coming one after the other and I found myself glued until early morning. The name I remember best was Bobby Flay. I saw him in different shows. One where you come up against him and the other where he is mentor or something of the sort. I get a little emotional at times so I honestly try to stay away from the competitive side of things. The one that did not hold my attention was one that had something to do with some sort of Cut throat cooking or kitchen.

I have mixed feeling about cooking shows particularly when it comes to competition.

Back
Top Bottom