TV Cooking Shows

This years winner was well deserved, it has been pretty obvious for a couple of weeks who was going to win and I am glad he did :thumbsup:
I find it hard to believe the winner does not get leaked ,as the final was filmed the end of January even the families are not told

I've always loved all of Gordon Ramsey's stuff. Especially that episode where he tried to help Amy's Baking Company - those people were just horrible to work with. It certainly made for great television, but the fact that such people actually exist was tough to swallow...

I've always loved all of Gordon Ramsey's stuff. Especially that episode where he tried to help Amy's Baking Company - those people were just horrible to work with. It certainly made for great television, but the fact that such people actually exist was tough to swallow...
I've seen how he makes these programmes it's filmed over two weeks they show you what the producer wants you to see,they make the establishment look bad then Gordon builds it up ,does the business always survive ?no ,it takes staff with fire in their belly and business sense to make it work

I like Jamie Oliver. The salads he makes just seem so enticing. I also enjoy Anthony Bourdain/Andrew Zimmern although they are not really "cooking shows" per se.

My all-time favorite cooking show is hands down America's Test Kitchen. I love that they test every recipe dozens of times until they get the perfect recipe. I love that they discuss the science behind why their recipes work. And I love Bridget Lancaster and Julia Collin-Davis. I have every one of the cookbooks for all 15 seasons and all 15 of the DVDs as well. I love the way the recipes turn out, that is if I resist the urge to improvise.

My only quibble is that although ATK's recipes are flawless if followed faithfully, they are usually labor intensive and create a LOT of dirty dishes. You don't realize whilst watching the show because they have a crew of white clad kitchen elves who whisk the dirty bowls, plates and utensils away out of camera range. I recently made their recipe for Singapore Noodles and by the time the dish was finished, my counter was covered with dirty dishes. I'm going to have to start washing as I go.

I chanced upon this tv show called Mystery Diner. It is a reality show where the proponent would be spying in the kitchen of a restaurant to determine why it has been losing. It is an interesting show that most of the time it is the food server that is at fault. With the few episodes of that particular show that I had seen, the cook was not at fault since the quality of food was not in question.

My all-time favorite cooking show is hands down America's Test Kitchen. I love that they test every recipe dozens of times until they get the perfect recipe. I love that they discuss the science behind why their recipes work. And I love Bridget Lancaster and Julia Collin-Davis. I have every one of the cookbooks for all 15 seasons and all 15 of the DVDs as well. I love the way the recipes turn out, that is if I resist the urge to improvise.

My only quibble is that although ATK's recipes are flawless if followed faithfully, they are usually labor intensive and create a LOT of dirty dishes. You don't realize whilst watching the show because they have a crew of white clad kitchen elves who whisk the dirty bowls, plates and utensils away out of camera range. I recently made their recipe for Singapore Noodles and by the time the dish was finished, my counter was covered with dirty dishes. I'm going to have to start washing as I go.

That is also one of my favorites. I enjoy learning about the processes and reasoning behind what is done during the cooking process, because in my opinion, it helps develop cooking skills, so we are then able to apply that knowledge when creating our own recipes. I also enjoy their product comparisons, because it's also a learning process, and they bring up issues I never would have known to consider when looking for kitchen products.

I have always cleaned up as I went, probably because I've never had a large enough kitchen, nor enough pans, utensils and dishes, to not do so. It's so much more pleasant to me when I put something in the oven, that I can wash the few remaining items, flip on a timer and go sit down and relax with a cup of coffee or tea while it cooks, knowing that the kitchen is clean.

I like to watch the Food Network shows like Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen with my 9 year old daughter. She always pauses the show and asks what I would do with the ingredients or sabotage. I love how she gets so into it and wants to learn how to cook! Last night she made us brownies and they were awesome!

That is also one of my favorites. I enjoy learning about the processes and reasoning behind what is done during the cooking process, because in my opinion, it helps develop cooking skills, so we are then able to apply that knowledge when creating our own recipes. I also enjoy their product comparisons, because it's also a learning process, and they bring up issues I never would have known to consider when looking for kitchen products.

I have always cleaned up as I went, probably because I've never had a large enough kitchen, nor enough pans, utensils and dishes, to not do so. It's so much more pleasant to me when I put something in the oven, that I can wash the few remaining items, flip on a timer and go sit down and relax with a cup of coffee or tea while it cooks, knowing that the kitchen is clean.
I clean up as I go most of the time, I only run into a problem when cooking Asian food. All the chopping, making of sauces, etc, must be done before one even turns on the stove. The actual cooking goes fast and the dirty dishes pile up quickly.

I too love ATK because not only do they cook the best recipe for the dish, but they explain the science behind why their method works. And I love the tasting of various food products and the comparisons of cooking implements. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a pan or a gadget based on ATK's recommendations. And you know, they don't get compensated in any way by the manufacturers. I wish I lived in Boston and could get a job with them.

Back
Top Bottom