Recipe Tzimmes, Jewish lamb stew with prunes

96EED235-13A3-4447-AFDC-F2B2DB91D0A4.jpeg

here’s my finished product. Do brussels sprouts belong on the plate? Probably not, but I decided I wanted to have them to make it a meal. I served it with farro cooked in beef broth.

I just realized as I look at this that I forgot to sprinkle sesame seeds on top. :oops:It’s not as pretty visually, and I think I missed something by not using them. I will make sure to enjoy them with my next serving.

Sesame seeds aside, this is an amazing dish. I wasn’t sure how the sweet elements - the raisins and carrots, and to some extent, the wine - would work here. But, everything plays together beautifully. You know you’re consuming wine with every bite, but the simmer makes it a reassuring hug with every mouthful. The sweet elements are muted, and round out the dish very nicely.

Lamb is the perfect meat for this dish, too: every bit of it is luxurious, which I would not have been able to say if I had used beef instead.

I’m sure this would’ve been perfectly fine with white rice, but I love how this works with farro.

An excellent dish that I will certainly make again.

View attachment 58291

here’s my finished product. Do brussels sprouts belong on the plate? Probably not, but I decided I wanted to have them to make it a meal. I served it with farro cooked in beef broth.

I just realized as I look at this that I forgot to sprinkle sesame seeds on top. :oops:It’s not as pretty visually, and I think I missed something by not using them. I will make sure to enjoy them with my next serving.

Sesame seeds aside, this is an amazing dish. I wasn’t sure how the sweet elements - the raisins and carrots, and to some extent, the wine - would work here. But, everything plays together beautifully. You know you’re consuming wine with every bite, but the simmer makes it a reassuring hug with every mouthful. The sweet elements are muted, and round out the dish very nicely.

Lamb is the perfect meat for this dish, too: every bit of it is luxurious, which I would not have been able to say if I had used beef instead.

I’m sure this would’ve been perfectly fine with white rice, but I love how this works with farro.

Ahh that's wonderful to hear! I love that you enjoyed it so much 😍
Lamb and any kind of dried fruit marries together beautifully, my first experience with it was a Morrocan lamb & apricot tagine with couscous.
Remembering that dish made me sure this dish would be nice too, and wine elevates it to another level.
I'm glad you took my advice to use the lamb, indeed it's not the same without it.
The sesame seeds are my own addition, they come from my memory of the tagine I just described. But they marry very well with the rest of the flavors.

View attachment 58291

X2 here, you did well, I love the look of yours. I put lamb in my phone to remind me Saturday.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom