Vanilla Ice Cream

You know something - this is a no-churn recipe! Its very similar to one I've used many times (as I have no machine). The condensed milk means no churning is necessary.

Here is the recipe I use. It uses less condensed milk than yours.
  • ½ a 397g can sweetened condensed milk
  • 600ml pot double cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Put the condensed milk, cream and vanilla into a large bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until thick and quite stiff, a bit like clotted cream. Scrape into a freezer container or a large loaf tin, cover with cling film and freeze until solid.

Would you know what double cream would be in Germany? Would that be whipping cream? (Schlagsahne 30-35% fett)

I'm not sure - it may not be available in Germany. A German website I looked at suggested this - but I've no idea if you can get it:

post-3720-1150529305.gif

Another stated this: "Double cream is Konditorsahne, 40 percent, and not available retail in Germany."

Your whipping cream sounds the same as our whipping cream (35% fat). Double cream is 48% fat (not 40%) usually. I think it might be worth trying this ice-cream with whipping cream. I reckon it should work - can't guarantee it though! If I get a chance I will try the recipe using whipping cream to see...

Last edited:
I'm not sure - it may not be available in Germany. A German website I looked at suggested this - but I've no idea if you can get it:

View attachment 28874

Another stated this: "Double cream is Konditorsahne, 40 percent, and not available retail in Germany."

Your whipping cream sounds the same as our whipping cream (35% fat). Double cream is 48% fat (not 40%) usually. I think it might be worth trying this ice-cream with whipping cream. I reckon it should work - can't guarantee it though! If I get a chance I will try the recipe using whipping cream to see...
Oh yes, thank you for that. I know what that is now. It's what our bakers use when they make the filling for Bienenstich. (Bee Sting Cake..it doesn't translate very well). I will ask our baker here in the village on Monday.

I have a simple recipe i would like to share, this will be relevant if you have an ice cream machine.

300 Grams of condensed milk.
600 ML of thickened cream.
A splash of vanilla essence.

Churn for 40 minutes and freeze.
@rascal by the way, you have the best avatar i have seen haha.

There are so many variations that all end up making delicious ice cream! My standard variation is closest to what @Shermie mentioned:
  • 1 quart half and half (or 1 cup heavy cream + 1 cup whole milk)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
@timmyc's method avoids the business of heating the custard, streaming the egg yolks in while stirring, and then straining out the vanilla bean. I will have to try it sometime, but I love the results so much with mine that it will need to be a side project. The weather is getting warm, and I'm starting to think of cold desserts.

I forgot about this one; I posted a no-churn recipe that someone else posted first:

Helado de coco
Coconut ice cream
Ingredients
  • 16 oz. whipping cream, very cold
  • A 15 oz. can Cream of Coconut (crema de coco)
Directions
Beat cream until very thick and forms peaks.
Place the Cream of Coconut in a bowl and mix with a whisk. Add ¼ of the whipped cream and mix well. Add ¼ more of the cream and mix well again.
Gently fold in the remaining cream. Pour into a mold or container. Freeze for 8 to 10 hours or overnight. Stored in a covered container in the freezer.
Notes
You cannot substitute the Cream of Coconut or whipping cream in this recipe. That's what makes it an ice cream without a machine. Those two ingredients make it possible.​

Back
Top Bottom