Recipe Vanilla Sponge Cake- Gluten, Dairy, Nut and Egg Free

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
4:00 AM
sponge cake.jpg

Ingredients

1 1⁄2 cups plain flour (use a typical blended general purpose gluten-free plain flour mix -as stated in the intro)
1 cup sugar
1⁄3 cup oil (I use vegetable oil)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon gluten-free bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon orange juice

Directions
Preheat oven to 180°C Oil and line a round cake tin. (I use 20cm/8inch pan- but smaller or larger will just vary the height of the cake).
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Use an egg whisk to aerate- their is no need to sift the dry ingredients.
Using a mixing jug, beat the oil, vinegar, vanilla and water together. Mix well.
Make a well in the flour mix and add the wet mix. Beat this together slowly and when mixed through beat with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.The mixture should be the consistency of a thick batter. Cook 45-60 minutes.
When cooked, remove the cake from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out to cool.
Decorate as desired.

http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-sponge-cake-gluten-dairy-nut-and-egg-free-309848

Vegan only if a particular manufacturers flour is used. Not tagged as vegan at source, or here, because of this.

Last edited:
I am yet to make a sponge cake of any kind. I love the ones I have had but I find it a little intimidating since I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie in the baking department. There is orange juice in there. Couldn't we slip this in the orange challenge?

I am yet to make a sponge cake of any kind. I love the ones I have had but I find it a little intimidating since I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie in the baking department. There is orange juice in there. Couldn't we slip this in the orange challenge?
You'd have to re-post it under a different name, or a take on this one.

You'd have to re-post it under a different name, or a take on this one.
You would give up your recipes to me? You are too kind.:) I am traveling and wondering if I can even get to make any meaningful contributions. Interestingly enough I stumbled on one of these cooking competitions.

Last edited:
The recipe looks good and I'm sure it will taste good as well. Just wondering will it be more expensive than a traditional sponge cake? I guess if you sell this the gluten-free tag makes the difference. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom