Recipe Vegan Bamieh (Middle Eastern Vegetable Stew)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
2:12 PM
Vegetarian Bamieh

A Middle Eastern vegan dish of potatoes and okra. (If you really must have meat in it, see my notes at the end of the recipe!)

Serves: 4

Vegetarian bamieh.jpg

Ingredients:

2 large onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon baharat (mixed Arabic spices)
2 x 400 g cans of chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
400 g okra
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
Pinch of crushed chillies (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
½ cup water

Method:

1. Fry the onions in a large saucepan with the oil on a medium heat until they soften and become slightly golden, add the garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.

2. Add baharat, turmeric, salt and pepper and fry for 1 minute, then add the tinned tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes.

3. Add the tomato paste, lemon juice and crushed chillies if used, and cook for 5 minutes, add the ½ cup of water and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.

4. Add the potatoes and the frozen okra, and a splash of water if needed. Cover the pot and cook for another 30 minutes or so until the potatoes and the okra are cooked and the stew has reached your desired thickness, add more water if required. Season to taste.

Notes:

1. If you fancy meat in it, add 400 g of cubed lamb and lightly brown with the onions.

2. I nearly always cook this overnight in my slow cooker (for a minimum of 6 hours) and omit the initial frying stage. I use the same amount of water. The liquid usually has the consistency of a thick soup.

3. It keeps well in the fridge and freezes very well too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom