Recipe Vegan Cauliflower Cheese

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:25 AM
The vegan cheese sauce here could be used in plenty of other dishes too. Its the best faux cheese sauce I've come up with after a lot of experimenting. I made a basic Béchamel, with oil in place of butter, and plant milk in place of dairy milk. I made it slightly thicker than normal as there is no cheese to thicken it . Then I added the ingredients shown below for the sauce. Its very easy to do, especially if you make the sauce in the microwave (5 minute Béchamel!). You can, of course make the Béchamel in a pan if you wish. Toppings can easily be varied.

Ingredients (per person)
Half a small head of cauliflower including some inner leaves
Olive oil
Lemon juice

For the sauce (per person):
1 tbsp oil
1 (very) heaped tbsp flour
200 ml plant milk of your choice (I used almond milk)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp aminos
1 tsp truffle oil
¼ tsp ground turmeric
A squirt of lemon juice
Salt to taste
Grated nutmeg (optional)

Toppings: Toasted flaked almonds, capers, chilli flakes, chives, pumpkin seeds

Method
  1. Roughly chop the cauliflower into segments (not small florets) and par-boil. Drain and toss in a little olive oil and lemon juice.
  2. Briefly fry the cauliflower in a dry hot pan until slightly golden and charred in places. Set aside.
  3. To make the sauce, mix the oil and flour in a large microwaveable bowl to form a paste. Microwave on high (uncovered) for 30 seconds.
  4. Gradually add the milk, whisking as you go until you have a smooth liquid. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and whisk again.
  5. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and whisk.
  6. Add the remainder of the sauce ingredients, whisking as you go. Microwave on high for further 30 seconds, whisk again.
  7. Heat the oven to 180 C
  8. Place the cauliflower in an individual oven proof dish and pour the sauce over. Bake for 20 minutes.
  9. Scatter toppings over and serve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom