Recipe Vegan keema

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:56 AM
Keema is an Indian curry traditionally made with minced meat (often mutton or goat). This vegan version uses soya granules in place of meat. Sometimes peas are added and indeed you could add some frozen peas to this recipe if you like. Add them a few minutes before the end of cooking. The whole spices are left whole. I love them that way as you get little pops of flavour and texture as you eat, but if you don’t like that idea then the only way round this is to toast the spices in a dry pan and grind them. If you do this, add the freshly ground spices along with the other spices at step 4. Serve this curry with rice or naan bread.

Ingredients (serves 2)
100g soya granules
150ml hot water (or follow packet instructions)
2 tsp aminos (or light soy sauce)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ tsp each of cumin seeds, black peppercorns, green cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
1 Indian bay leaf
1 small stick of cinnamon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 heaped tsp garlic paste
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
220g tinned chopped tomatoes
150 ml water
3 whole green and/or red bird's eye chillies
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp aminos or light soy sauce
Salt to taste.
Fresh curry leaves (optional) or fresh coriander leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Begin by soaking the soya granules in hot water as per packet instructions. This usually takes only 10 minutes. Add the aminos or light soy sauce to the soaking water. Once soaked squeeze dry if the soya is too wet.
  2. Add the oil to a frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the whole spices, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Fry until the seeds pop.
  3. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and beginning to become golden.
  4. Add garlic paste, chilli powder, ground coriander and turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
  5. Add tomatoes, water and whole chillies, dark soy sauce and aminos. Stir well and allow the mixture to simmer for 20 minutes to reduce and to ensure the whole spices are softened. Remove the Indian bay leaf and cinnamon stick before serving.
  6. Add salt to taste.
  7. If using, fry the fresh curry leaves for a 20 seconds in a little oil to garnish.

Last edited:
This looks terrific. While the soya granules likely don't contribute much to the flavor, they must lighten things up compared to, say, pork. I will have to try it sometime when I want to lighten things up. With so many flavors involved, I imagine you won't notice the difference. Is there a brand name you recommend?

soya beans.Is there a brand name you recommend?

The one used was Organico organic soya mince. But its very unlikely you will have the same brand in the USA. They are all much the same so long as no flavours are added. The one I used states ingredients: soya beans. Nothing else is added. The descriptions states: Our soya TVP is guaranteed of EU origin, organic, with no GM ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom