Recipe & Video Vegan Lentil Koftas - Turkish Bulgur and Lentil Balls - Mercimek Köftesi

Hungry Man

Local time
8:44 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
Turkish Bulgur and Lentil Balls

View: https://youtu.be/6mntXALH3Go

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 1.5 cup bulgur (fine or medium)
  • 1 onion
  • 5 green onions
  • 1 bunch of parsley (50 g)
  • 5 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp chili paste
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • 2 tsp salt
  • ½ lemon (juice)
  • 2 cups of water
  • Lettuce, pomegranate molasses and lemon slices to serve

Instructions:
  1. Wash and drain the lentils until the water comes out clean
  2. Transfer to a pan and boil with 2 cups of water until soft
  3. Turn off the heat and add the bulgur and mix to combine
  4. Cover the lid and let it rest for 30 minutes
  5. Finely chop the onion and in a pan, add the vegetable oil and cook the onions until soft
  6. Add the tomato paste and the chili paste, cook until the paste is cooked for 5 minutes
  7. Transfer the cooked onions with the paste into the pot with the lentils and bulgur
  8. Mix with your hand until all the ingredients combine, gradually add water if it feels too dry
  9. Add salt, cumin, black pepper and the chili flakes and mix to combine
  10. Add juice of a half lemon
  11. Chop the green onions and the parsley, add to the mixture and mix to combine
  12. Shape into small patties by squeezing between your palm and your fingers
  13. Layer lettuce leaves on a large plate and serve the koftas on top of the lettuce leaves
  14. Garnish with lemon slices and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses

Last edited:
Looks amazing and inviting! Actually a few days ago I was thinking of combining lentils and beans for something similar. I cleaned and rearranged my fridge yesterday and did partially "inventory" on what I have in my pantry cabinets, I still have to check whether I have lentils or not. Will buy some soon, I love it also in stews.
My inspiration at the moment is 'shelf cooking', that is using what I already have and search for recipes. It is exciting!

Looks amazing and inviting! Actually a few days ago I was thinking of combining lentils and beans for something similar. I cleaned and rearranged my fridge yesterday and did partially "inventory" on what I have in my pantry cabinets, I still have to check whether I have lentils or not. Will buy some soon, I love it also in stews.
My inspiration at the moment is 'shelf cooking', that is using what I already have and search for recipes. It is exciting!
I'm doing that too, I just buy the ingredients whenever I find quality ones and stock them in my pantry and then thinking about how to use & mix them 😉

Back
Top Bottom