Recipe Vegan "Smoked Salmon" From Carrots

I salt baked half a swede (rutabaga) in a bowl in the halogen oven.

So far so good. I tasted a bit and it was delicious. I then used a mandoline to slice it:

Easy to do! Then I smoked it using a smoke gun. Also easy. Next it was marinated in a mix of reconstituted seaweed and a little beetroot juice plus ingredient listed in top post.

As you can see it looks great. Unfortunately the process resulted in devoiding the swede of any swede taste whatsoever. Its texture however, remained and frankly was rather unpleasant combined with the fishy smokey taste. I'm not sure how much its worth experimenting with other root veg. Smoked salmon has a very specific soft texture which would be difficult to replicate without using some sort of set vegetable gel. Maybe the carrot version is closer.

I do think that marinated cooked root vegetable are a great idea though. I just think trying to make them taste like smoked salmon may not be a such good idea. Celeriac might be good to salt bake and marinate.

The salsifies were "slightly" overcooked after 1,5 hours in 200°C in a coarse salt bed (covered with salt) :D. There was nothing left to slice. The only thing I could do was divide the slender veggies into halves and scrape the potato-like inner/flesh straight into the marinade. I'll post the recipe separately as the "ruined" dish turned out to be delicious: a perfect substitute for pickled herring.
sals_1.jpg

The salsifies were "slightly" overcooked after 1,5 hours in 200°C in a coarse salt bed (covered with salt) :D. There was nothing left to slice. The only thing I could do was divide the slender veggies into halves and scrape the potato-like inner/flesh straight into the marinade. I'll post the recipe separately as the "ruined" dish turned out to be delicious: a perfect substitute for pickled herring.View attachment 51692

Pickled herring it is then!

Back
Top Bottom