Vegan yoghurt making

I think either of those would be ideal.
So my decision would be down to which one can you buy extra containers for if you decide you want another container of a certain size?
Goodness, so we found The yoghurt maker?
I will look into the extra container question...
This is so exciting. Thank you!😍🥰

Goodness, so we found The yoghurt maker?
I will look into the extra container question...
This is so exciting. Thank you!😍🥰
I guess at the end of the day, the bigger one might be better simply because if you want to make more yoghurt (to make yoghurt cheese or cook with the yoghurt), you can make a larger quantity. If you don't want more, you can still add 1L of soy milk to any container bigger than 1L... so if my hubby is away from home, I'll just make 1L not 2L of yoghurt in the 2L container. And having that second container means I can have another batch on whilst still having yoghurt to hand.

Also, a few months ago, hubby and I went away for a week. In order to come home to yoghurt, I made a 2L batch up before we went away. I didn't open it or test it, just put it directly into the fridge after it had cooled. It was left there for a week. I figured the worst that would happen was that we'd have to throw it away. Instead it was completely fine. If anything it was a touch thicker than our usual set yoghurt. I guess we make yoghurt every 10 days or so, so homemade does seem to last well providing you follow a few basic rules (in the fridge, sealed lid, and only ever use a clean spoon to take yoghurt from the container). We weigh out the yoghurt quantity we want by the way. It makes it much easier to gauge volume.

homemade does seem to last well
Well written, thank you. Will keep in mind.
I ordered the maker. Yeey.
However for some reason the bigger one was not available for my city, so it is the somewhat smaller one. And upon extended search Amazon does not provide extra containers of the brand. But the maker comes with two containers, if zhe description is correct. It is due June 18th.

I will probably also learn more by actually making the yoghurt.

The starter and/or fermenter is the next step.
Will scroll back to re-read which one you use.
ACidophilus is lovely in taste, remembering from my dairy days...
Bulgari,I forget the full name, sounds lovely and brings nostalgia, as my Mom is from Bulgaria.
Will keep updating.

One of the bacteria is named Streptococcus, which sent shivers down my spine, but it seems to be the most common...
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Are among the next most often used...
And some unnamed cultures. Possibly mixtures, I don't know.
So much choice...
Looking at quantity and price as well...
I need some quiet time to analyze, possibly next weekend...
No rush, as the maker is due in 15 days...
Screenshot_20240602_105335_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240602_105112_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240602_141157_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240602_141209_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240602_141554_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240602_141656_Chrome.jpg

One of the bacteria is named Streptococcus, which sent shivers down my spine, but it seems to be the most common...
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Are among the next most often used...
And some unnamed cultures. Possibly mixtures, I don't know.
So much choice...
Looking at quantity and price as well...
I need some quiet time to analyze, possibly next weekend...
No rush, as the maker is due in 15 days...
View attachment 114336View attachment 114337View attachment 114338View attachment 114339View attachment 114340View attachment 114341
The one I get is a powder, kept in the freezer once it arrives. It contains

Contains: It consists of specifically selected strains of:
Streptococcus thermophilus
Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus

and the probiotics
Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis

Thrilled to have made the first homemade yoghurt.
Now this is a starting point. Will expand in all directions.

This first one was soy. 8% soy. Will look for higher soy percentage.

14h at 38c, as what the device instructions read.

Will try longer at 40c.

I also added guar, as the ferment package suggested a thickener may be welcome.

I love it. Love the taste. Has a little tzing, but not overly. It is creamy and lovely, a bit starchy, but I don't mind.

Out of 1 L soy milk, thete is about 300, 350g yoghurt. Lots of liquid drained by the sieve overnight in the fridge. Guesstimating 400 to 500ml.

It may be usable as baking liquid?

Very happy, marching on.

20240716_125243.jpg
20240716_125246.jpg
20240716_125322.jpg
20240716_125326.jpg
20240716_125501.jpg
20240716_125603.jpg

Thrilled to have made the first homemade yoghurt.
Now this is a starting point. Will expand in all directions.

This first one was soy. 8% soy. Will look for higher soy percentage.

14h at 38c, as what the device instructions read.

Will try longer at 40c.

I also added guar, as the ferment package suggested a thickener may be welcome.

I love it. Love the taste. Has a little tzing, but not overly. It is creamy and lovely, a bit starchy, but I don't mind.

Out of 1 L soy milk, thete is about 300, 350g yoghurt. Lots of liquid drained by the sieve overnight in the fridge. Guesstimating 400 to 500ml.

It may be usable as baking liquid?

Very happy, marching on.

View attachment 116074View attachment 116075View attachment 116076View attachment 116077View attachment 116078View attachment 116079

Looks really good!

Just bought a 13% soy bean soy milk for one of my next yoghurts. On my way back from the pharmacy and the post.

20240716_151351.jpg

20240716_151358.jpg

The soy milk is cooling, all the other stuff is ready. This time I will be using 2 (last) tablespoons of the previos yoghurt instead of powder ferment.

Will use the maker for 15 hours on 40c.

Edited to state the ready yoghurt is draining and chilling in the fridge. It is way denser. Has a lovely scent.

Is significantly more sour ( I used 2 tablespoons sugar to feed the bacteria). Which I like.

Pictured are the previous yoghurt as starter and the guar,sugar, soy milk mixture.

20240717_171145.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom