Recipe Vegetable Soup with Burrata

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
5:38 AM
Vegetable Soup with Burrata
zu_d.png

Serves 6-8 | Preparation and cooking time ~60 min (+ 8-12 hours if soaking and cooking the beans)

I have to back up with my previous argument that tomatoes and fatty dairy products don’t go well together (except in pizzas and cheese-topped tomato tarts). Butter and tomatoes may not be the perfect match (both being slightly acidic and prominent or "self-sufficient" in taste) but the mild and creamy Italian burrata (made of mozzarella cheese surface/lining filled with semi-runny mozzarella leftovers/whey liquid and cream) completes a hearty vegetable soup just perfectly: it has a luscious mouthfeel; it’s like a quirky, soft, slightly elastic and milder alternative to a dollop of sour cream. Brown sugar, black pepper and lime juice complement the earthy flavors of cabbage and root vegetables. Cherry tomatoes, chili and canned tomatoes give the broth a deep, umami rich base note.

Ingredients

50 ml/0.2 cups (3-4 tblsp) ev olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
12 cherry/mini plum tomatoes
1 bell pepper/sweet pepper/capsicum
1 red chili pepper (seeds included)
1-2 yellow onions (I used two small ones)
3 medium-sized carrots
500 g/1.1 lb root parsley, root celery or parsnip
500 g/1.1 lb cabbage
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2000 ml (2 liters)/8.5 cups water
650 g/1.4 lb pre-cooked beans (I used 200 g/0.44 lb rinsed black-eyed peas, soaked overnight, cooked in plenty of water for 1 h 15 min, rinsed and drained; can be substituted with canned beans or lentils – if so, reduce the amount of salt)
500 g/1.1. lb/17.6 oz canned, crushed tomatoes
2-3 tblsp lime juice
2 bay leaves
3-4 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 bunches basil (1 for the soup, 1 for garnish)
---
500 g/1.1 lb/17.6 oz burrata cheese (or Bufala mozzarella or vegan mozzarella)
10-20 ml/1-1.5 tblsp ev olive oil
salt flakes
black pepper

Instructions

1. Chop the cabbage, carrots, bell pepper and root parsley into tiny bits and dice the onion.
2. Mince the chili and garlic.
3. Sauté/stir-fry the vegetables in oil-sugar mix in a large soup pot on medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
4. Add the water, canned tomatoes, lime juice, salt and pepper, bring to boil and let simmer on medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes (without lid).
5. Add the cooked, rinsed beans and let simmer for a further 5-7 minutes. Keep the cabbage and root vegetables al dente (a lightly snappy mouthfeel; not soggy or mushy)
6. Check the salt, add a bunch of basil, take the soup aside and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
7. Distribute the soup into soup bowls and finish with bits of burrata or mozzarella, basil, a dollop of ev olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt flakes and black pepper.
8. Serve with rustic bread.
zu_a.png

P.S. The black-eyed peas tend to sink to the bottom - but they're there.
zu_e.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom