Vegetables you dislike

Kale I understand - its a bit tough, fiberous & scratchy as vegetables go. Although, there are varieties which are tender when young. Lima beans? Now I think these are what are known in the UK as Butter beans. But here they are dried, white beans and are easily bought cooked in cans.

If I Google I find green lima beans - presumably fresh ones which I've never tasted. But the white ones are so delicious to me - I love the dry and waxy combination in the texture and their sweetish state.

So pray tell - which kind of lima beans do you mean?

Any of them. Its a texture thing. I like baby peas, but quite honestly, don't think I would ever eat mushy peas. Just looking at them is off putting.

With sprouts, I cut them in half and par cook them by steaming. I brown off some pancetta or bacon which gets removed, then onions (usually one large sweet onion, sliced thin) are added to the remaining fat and cooked until soft, then the sprouts go back in the pan along with some balsamic vinegar, S&P to taste. I'll either finish on the stove top or in the oven until the sprouts are done.

Gosh...apart from sprouts (I love them too) you killed lots of vegetables! :laugh:
I'll list veggies I like:

All beans (green and whole)
Turnips
Radishes
Carrots
Lettuces
Potatoes (should list about six times :laugh:
Onions
Celery
Celeriac
Cabbages
Parsnips
Peas
Kohlrabi
Sprouts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Leeks
Beets
Peppers
Tomatoes (yes, I know...)

And that's just mentally going through the produce section. There are likely others.

Last edited:
Had to go back and add peas to my list of lovely veg.

Mushy peas are the best! What else are you going to eat with your pie?! :eek: :laugh:

I don't care as much for fancier versions of mushy peas, like with mint and cream, though.

I'll list veggies I like:

All beans (green and whole)
Turnips
Radishes
Carrots
Lettuces
Potatoes (should list about six times :laugh:
Onions
Celery
Celeriac
Cabbages
Parsnips
Peas
Kohlrabi
Sprouts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Leeks
Beets
Peppers
Tomatoes (yes, I know...)

And that's just mentally going through the produce section. There are likely others.

:okay:
Tomatoes....oh yes, I know what you mean..

About celery: I'm a fan of it, but in general it seems to have sense only chopped with carrots and onions or maybe for some healthy smoothies...
I love it to use its leaves adding them in the tomato sauce, or even using them in the veg broth

Kohlrabi.....:scratchhead:?

Oh ok, got it! Thank you @TastyReuben
That's what we call here 'Sedano Rapa'..:okay:
I was looking online for the Italian word for it, and the best I could find was that Sicilians use whatever word mainland Italians (not even sure if that's the right way to distinguish!) use for cauliflower, but I could never find what non-Sicilian Italians use!

A lot of vegetables, I love raw. That's how I first remember eating them.

We'd dig potatoes and always nosh on the smaller ones. I love raw turnip, radishes, and kohlrabi with a little salt. I can still see my dad coming home from work, getting out of his truck, walking straight to the garden, pulling a giant onion, cutting the top and the root off with his pocketknife, and eating it like an apple.

I eat as much raw celery as I do cooked. I'm always munching on celery and carrots.

I was looking online for the Italian word for it, and the best I could find was that Sicilians use whatever word mainland Italians (not even sure if that's the right way to distinguish!) use for cauliflower, but I could never find what non-Sicilian Italians use!

A lot of vegetables, I love raw. That's how I first remember eating them.

We'd dig potatoes and always nosh on the smaller ones. I love raw turnip, radishes, and kohlrabi with a little salt. I can still see my dad coming home from work, getting out of his truck, walking straight to the garden, pulling a giant onion, cutting the top and the root off with his pocketknife, and eating it like an apple.

I eat as much raw celery as I do cooked. I'm always munching on celery and carrots.

Sicily is very popular.
Yes, I think it's just sedano-rapa, although I found it has also translated into celeriac. Same family of tubers, I guess anyway.
In Lombardy, as well as in Piedmont and I believe in the rest of Northern Italy, non-Sicilians use it a lot.
Very good raw only with a little salt and pepper (and a bit of evoo)

In Sardinia (the biggest Italian islands are two! Haha)
my uncle did the same thing your dad did.

Celery is a little underestimated in my opinion, but munching it while cooking (I accompany it sipping some white wine), it's a habit that I also have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom