Vegetables you dislike

I don't eat eggplant either but I'm trying to grow some so I will try it if I'm successful. I have an Indian recipe that looks good.

View attachment 31652
We also have to be very careful about copyright when it comes to printed books. Photocopying or photographing them is usually pushing it too far. Writing it out in your own words is much better.

I hated peas, Brussels sprouts, and carrots as a kid.

Now, I love peas and nicely roasted Brussels sprouts. Parents had served boiled, possibly frozen or canned (not sure) so I hung back for years and years - and I always loved most of the rest of the Brassicas... Now, good roasted FRESH Brussels are to die for.

Carrots: I still don't like them. YES, I included them in the pancake recipe I just made. For photography color, and because the source recipe I mildly adapted used them. (What I do for recipe sharing.... I'll make the recipe again but NO CARROTS again!)

I'm fine simmering carrots in mirepoix for hours - it's the more raw and less cooked states of carrot that I cannot abide.

There are some cultivars of kale I don't like - but others are awesome.

I hate it when I go out and the skin is still on the cucumber in salads in restaurants. The silly fad of shaving HALF the skin off and leaving the rest makes me angry. Don't be lazy - finish the job! (Here I'm talking about the regular supermarket-style cukes - many of the farmer's market cukes don't have that heavy skin, and a thin skin on a cuke is acceptable to me.)

The silly fad of shaving HALF the skin off and leaving the rest makes me angry.
I like having the peel on (I'm like that with most veg). I'll peel one for aesthetic reasons sometimes, but usually, I just give things a good scrub, or with cukes, a short soak in vinegar and water to remove that thin layer of food-grade wax that's on there.

The wife likes hers peeled, so sometimes you'll see the stripey look in our house, but it's purely for compromise. :)

OK - Brussels sprouts may be top of the list for many people. But I love them. There aren't many veg I dislike but I'm not keen on sweet vegetables - sweet potato, corn, carrots. Which vegetables do you dislike (if any)? If you dislike a vegetable, is it to do with your childhood memories of it?

I like Brussels sprouts, but they have to be cooked right, which is not easy. Bacon fat is good for cooking them in, but kinda' blows the healthy part of veggies.

I hate carrots. My mom has had bad eyesight since childhood, and fed them to us at every opportunity. I got carrot cake for my birthdays.

I hated asparagus as a kid, because my mom used canned asparagus, and cooked it for 30 minutes. Nasty mush. I love it now that i've had it fresh and cooked right.

I don't like eggplant (aubergine) either.

CD

I don't eat eggplant, and okra. I also do not eat radishes, I like them, they don't like me. lol

Oh, breaded and fried okra is wonderful. I also use it in my gumbo. Otherwise, it can be pretty slimy.

CD

I got carrot cake for my birthdays.

Oh my!

I hated asparagus as a kid, because my mom used canned asparagus, and cooked it for 30 minutes. Nasty mush. I love it now that i've had it fresh and cooked right.

It doesn't can well that's for sure. Its brilliant when super fresh.

I don't like eggplant (aubergine) either.

I reckon it depends how its cooked. It can be oily and slimy - but it doesn't need to be.

OK - Brussels sprouts may be top of the list for many people.

Brussels sprouts are at the top of my list. I took an instant dislike to them as a kid but surprisingly I haven't tried them since. Many foods that I disliked as a kid I've subsequently appreciated. I wonder why not Brussels sprouts. Bit late now though; they are very expensive here.

Brussels sprouts are at the top of my list. I took an instant dislike to them as a kid but surprisingly I haven't tried them since. Many foods that I disliked as a kid I've subsequently appreciated. I wonder why not Brussels sprouts. Bit late now though; they are very expensive here.

Lots of folk didn't used to like them because of the bitter taste. Its largely been bred out of them now, I gather. So you might like them now.

SatNavSaysStraightOn: We also have to be very careful about copyright when it comes to printed books. Photocopying or photographing them is usually pushing it too far. Writing it out in your own words is much better.

I am a professional commercial photographer, and all of my work is copyrighted. All "creators" have their own tolerance levels. For me, I don't mind if someone posts one of my photos in a forum, as long as they give me credit for the photo. I only go after people who use my photos to profit in some way, without paying me for the photos.

As for the photo of the recipe in the book, the poster should have written in the post with the photo that it came from "Name of book," by "name of author." Putting a link to the book on Amazon.com or somewhere else people can buy the book would almost certainly protect the forum. That's free advertising for the author. I can't imagine the author complaining about that.

BTW, "writing it out in you own words" isn't going to cut it. That is still a copyright violation, unless, as with the photo of the page, you give proper credit to the author.

Hope that helps.

CD

Back
Top Bottom