Recipe Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers with Orange-Basil Salsa

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:45 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've been struggling to come up with any recipes for the latest recipe competition (the orange) mostly because oranges don't really feature in my diet because they are lacking flavour in the UK even when it is the season for them. Somehow they just don't compare to what comes off the trees in Greece and Turkey at this time of year. Anyhow this recipe did appeal to be because it is easily made vegan and full of flavour, plus it has an salsa featuring oranges!

Makes: 6

Ingredients

Salsa

2 navel oranges, separated and cut into small pieces
1 large tomato, finely diced
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed or chopped very finely
1 tbsp fresh lime juice (lemon juice may also work)
2 tsp olive oil
1 small jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped finely
salt, to taste

Black Bean Burgers
4 cups cooked black beans, (retain cooking or cans liquid if making vegan version)
2 eggs or 2tbsp of aquafaba
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed out chopped finely
1 stick of celery, chopped thinly
1 red pepper, chopped finely
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
ground pepper

Method
  • Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl. Let sit for at least 1 hour.
  • Place 1 cup of black beans in a food processor with the 2 eggs (or 2 tbsp of bean water) and process until smooth.
  • Stir this mixture into the remaining beans along with the bread crumbs.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
  • Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and celery and saute until very tender and beginning to soften. Sprinkle on the cumin, stir and cook 1 more minute.
  • Add the onion mixture to the bean mixture, mix well and season to taste.
To make the burgers
  • Preheat oven to 375F, 190C, Gas mark 5.
  • Lightly oil a baking sheet.
  • Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop up 12 portions of the bean mixture and place on the baking sheet. Flatten out with the scoop or your hand.
  • Bake for 20 minutes, turning over half way through cooking.
  • (It is also possible to fry the burgers to cook them, just repeat the above instructions in a frying pan or griddle)
  • Serve the bean burgers with a spoonful of salsa on each, in a bread roll out burger bap,or whatever takes your fancy! You could even reshape them and serve then in a wrap.
The recipe was originally found from here and adapted.

Last edited:
That looks really good. I think I would get tired of assembling all the ingredients though. I did make a black bean veggie burger recipe thought that was really good...It even held together nicely on the grill which was a bit surprising. Good burgers, and tasty.

I, also, really like the sound of the salsa. I have never had salsa made with oranges before. It would make a nice flavour. I am definitely going to give this salsa a try.

Well, we made them tonight. The burgers at least need work. The salsa is rather nice, though I did double anything that was a herb or spice and the lime juice.
The burgers however are another matter. They will be being spiced up because being short on time, only 4 were made up and cooked luckily. I'm thinking that they will be gaining some chilli flakes, more cumin, garlic, definitely more salt, fresh coriander and quite possible some mustard seeds as well. We will see what tomorrow brings.

We made these burgers last week and after some experimentation and failures we finally managed to get a semi reasonable picture of them at lunch yesterday. Sadly I wasnt able to work on the presentation of orientation, lighting and only had my tablet camera available but...

_20160111_145441.JPG

Back
Top Bottom