karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
9:38 PM
Veggie burgers which can be adapted to Vegan if necessary.
Ingredients
1 can (around 250 gms drained) chickpeas
150 gms walnuts or hazelnuts
2 large carrots, finely grated
1 small onion
2 tbsps tahini paste
2 tsps smoked paprika
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
50 gms smoked cheddar cheese - if not available, used parmesan or grated cheddar
50 - 100 gms breadcrumbs (I´ll explain that later)
2 tbsps Worcestershire or Soy sauce
1/2 tsp (or more) chilpotle powder or cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
  1. Grind the walnuts/hazelnuts - you may decide to grind them to a powder, but I like to leave a little texture . Pour into a bowl.
  2. Add the carrots to the bowl.
  3. Chop the onion and place in the processor along with the chickpeas. Grind until well mixed, then add to the bowl.
  4. Now add all the other ingredients and mix well together. You´re aiming for a thick, fairly stiff texture, which is why the breadcrumb quantity is variable. You may need to add more or you might be OK with 50 - 100 gms.
  5. Taste for seasoning and add more salt & pepper if necessary.
  6. Form into patties, wrap in clingfilm and freeze.
  7. When cooking, take the patties directly from the freezer and cook in a little oil in a frying pan/skillet, medium heat. Fry on one side for 2-3 minutes (until the patty separates from the pan) then turn over and fry on the other side. You can flip them again and again till you get the required "colour".
This recipe made 6 (almost identical!) burgers.

It looks like these held together really well. I've had trouble getting canned chickpeas to do that, since they are soaking in the liquid in the can. I've used dry chickpeas that I soaked overnight, which sometimes means the end product is "chunky", which isn't pleasant. I'll give this one a try sometime.

It looks like these held together really well
That has always been the issue for me. They seem to hold together until you get them in the pan, then they disintegrate. I´d normally use dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, then cooked, but this time stuck with the tin.
Perhaps the combination of nuts, chickpeas, tahini and breadcrumbs helps them stick. What I can be certain of is that, as long as they´re cooked fairly gently, they keep their shape.

Back
Top Bottom