Vending Machines

It's easy to determine the members who are retired.
That's exactly how I sort any colored/shaped candies, and then I eat all of one color/shape before proceeding to the next.

And I'd have no issue whatsoever eating all those in one sitting.

Last Friday it was pointed out to me that the drip tray was filthy, it was, so I called our provider, an engineer turned up today, took 1 look and said oh...I replied that no way had that been cleaned last Thursday, Thursday is service day. He took pictures to send to the relevant department then cleaned it himself. I was disgusted it was so bad but as I rarely use it I wasn't aware.
The cleaner is going to get a slapped wrist.

Because kids can easily buy them from the vending machines. They used to be in bars.

Same with liquor & beer. They have to be sold by a person in a store. Bottles smaller than a 5th are on display behind the cashier's counter to keep them from being stolen. At stores on the Cape, they are sold on the shelves. Theft is down there.

Our parents used to send us to the corner store for a pack of Kent cigarettes. They both smoked them. They also sent us for Kool-Aid, grape & strawberry. :whistling:

Last edited:
Against the law. Tobacco products have to be sold by a person, who can check ID for proof of age.

CD

Yes, now.

I remember my mother sending me down to the lobby of our NYC apartment building with some coins to pick up cigarettes for her in the vending machine down in that lobby. (There were no other vending machines down there, so I didn't "cheat".) This was back in the early or mid-60s and I was definitely YOUNG.

EDIT: I was on the lower side of ten at that point...

Last edited:
I haven't seen a vending machine for ages... Okay, I've seen them in gas (petrol) stations, but I haven't used them for ages. We had chips and junk food where I used to work, in a couple of vending machines there. I think I last used one of them back around 8 or 9 years ago. More?

I do remember them in college. They were not very efficient - sometimes dispensing whatever goodie, they just hung up with that goodie hanging halfway out. It was a game, rather like Space Invaders or Tetris, to put your coins in to buy the item above that half-out item, and see if your selection would drop down and kick that lower item out as well. I only played this if the item was something I really wanted. Which wasn't very often, but yeah, I did do this back in the day a few decades back.

Our parents used to send us to the corner for a pack of Kent cigarettes. They both smoked them. They also sent us for Kool-Aid, grape & strawberry. :whistling:

That's funny. My mother would send us to the corner store with a note to get her cigarettes and bourbon. I even got to buy lottery tickets for her with a note. Luckily, I never imbibed and have a degree in math (statistics of winning the lottery big are not good) so I never tried that with my own kids. LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom