Recipe Vietnamese Style Pork with Potatoes and Rhubarb

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:05 AM
Rhubarb doesn’t have to be just a sweet treat. Its sour taste works wonderfully in savoury dishes Here I’ve used it with pork and chilli. The zingy sour rhubarb works wonderfully with the hot spicy pork.

This is a very easy recipe to make because it doesn’t require any chopping or frying of onions. The main ingredients are marinated and then tipped into a pot to slow cook. The rhubarb is added as a final stage and is simply microwaved for a few seconds. You can simply add the rhubarb to the pot in the final 20 mins of cooking - but (as I discovered) if you do, it will lose its vibrant colour!

View media item 139
Ingredients (serves 2)
350g pork cut into chunks (belly pork with some of the fat removed would work well)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp hot chilli powder
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
200ml medium sherry
6 - 8 small new (waxy) potatoes cut into chunks
1 stalk of rhubarb, cut into chunks
Coriander (cilantro) to garnish

Method

• Place the pork in a freezer bag with the soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli and sugar and mix well.
  • Allow to marinate overnight.
  • Heat oven to 160 C.
  • Tip the pork together with the marinade and potatoes into an ovenproof dish.
  • Add the sherry and cook sealed for 2 hrs.
  • Microwave the rhubarb with a little water in a covered container for 20 seconds or until just tender.
  • Serve with the rhubarb and coriander leaves scattered over.
IMGP1546.jpg

Last edited:
I must ask if you didn't chop them, how did they get that shape?
It may be an American thing but cut and chop pretty much mean the same thing here.
I am guessing by no chopping you mean they are not finely cut.

Looks fabulous.

I must ask if you didn't chop them, how did they get that shape?
It may be an American thing but cut and chop pretty much mean the same thing here.
I am guessing by no chopping you mean they are not finely cut.

Looks fabulous.
Confused... chop and cut does mean the same thing. The ingredients are all chopped into chunks a stated on the ingredients list. Why do you think I say 'no chopping'?

Confused... chop and cut does mean the same thing. The ingredients are all chopped into chunks a stated on the ingredients list. Why do you think I say 'no chopping'?
The original instructions said no frying or chopping.
You have since cleaned it up.

The original instructions said no frying or chopping.
You have since cleaned it up.
I didn't clean it up and the mistake is still there in the second paragraph! Thanks for pointing it out! It is meant to say 'no frying or chopping onions' .
I'll amend it!:D

Back
Top Bottom