Ways to use celery

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:25 PM
Celery has been mentioned a few times recently in other threads but I don't think its ever had a thread of its own. Tell us how you use celery, raw or cooked.

More than anything else, I eat a stalk or two raw, nearly every day. It's a favorite snack. Sometimes I put peanut butter on it, but usually, it's just plain.

Other than that, it goes in a lot of soups, of course, and when I make pot roast, I always include it (along with the potatoes, carrots, and onions), whether the recipe calls for it or not.

Another way I really like it is scrambled into an egg (or folded into an omelette) with some fresh tomatoes.

I also love celery salt and celery seed.

I'll happily eat it raw with salt but I love it cooked in a white sauce or cheese sauce. The only problem is making sure its tender and not stringy when cooked.

Another way I really like it is scrambled into an egg (or folded into an omelette) with some fresh tomatoes.

Do you mean raw - crunchy bits in the egg?

I love to eat a raw stalk while I’m cooking, maybe paired with a small glass of wine - red or white - or even dunk it in wine.
I never discard its leaves, they are just perfect in veggie soups, as much as perfect to blanch them a bit then blended for a celery leaves pesto or minced to add in polpette mix when I have no parsley

The only problem is making sure its tender and not stringy when cooked.
I peel the backside of celery when I'm making cream of celery soup. That removes a lot of the stringiness.

Do you mean raw - crunchy bits in the egg?
I'll usually start diced celery (and onions) in a skillet, cook those for a few minutes, then add some chopped tomato, cook a couple of minutes more, then in with the egg. I like the celery to be cooked somewhat, but with a little crunch to it.

It is a must in Cajun/Creole dishes that require "The Trinity". I use it raw in what I call my "Deli Tuna Special" salad. diced onion, diced celery, diced "HB" eggs, dill pickle relish, mayo, S&P. Have it as a sandwich or on crackers as a snack.

In soup or in egg salad or tuna salad on sandwiches. That's about it. And in soup, it has to be cooked to the point of mushy texture and where I can't taste any distinct celery flavor at all. If I got a salad in a restaurant and saw it on the plate, I would probably pick it all out before adding my salad dressing.

But I like celery salt and celery seed in a variety of things, ironically. Go figure.

Celery is fundamental to many classic soups, stew, and meat dishes. Used alongside onions and carrots, it is an essential flavor base referred to by chefs as "A Mirepoix".

Back
Top Bottom