What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:14 AM
Apart from replenishing the rotating supply of food items/ingredients, what would you say is the next thing you plan to buy for your kitchen?

Something big, like a new fridge? Something small, like a stick bender? Something in between?

I’ve been on the lookout for some attractive swing-top bottles, so I can make some flavored adult drinks, especially with the upcoming holidays nearly upon us. I’d also be able to use them to make picnic-friendly tipples in the warmer months.

What about you? Planning any big or small kitchen purchases in the near future?

I can't think of anything I plan to buy, or want to buy, unless something breaks, and I have to replace it.

CD

What's a swing top bottle?
These:

Amazon

Though I want something more decorative, like these:

Walmart

Well I already bought my next item but its not yet used and I fear its a mistake. My old slow cooker (crock-pot) died so I replaced it with an Instant Pot. I am rather stupid I think, as I could have bought a much cheaper simple slow cooker. This machine is basically a pressure cooker given a new name (so we don't get frightened). But it does also have a slow cook setting. Maybe I will get the hang of it...

I had to buy something last week. The clips on the bowl on my magimix mini plus decided to break off. They are the stoppers that click the bowl into the locking mechanism and trigger the safety switch once the lid is engaged. We don't use it massively often, the original bowl was around 8-9 years old, but purchased in the UK when we lived there, so the 10 year warranty would have been a challenge... you could just about get it to work if you lined everything up and then held the safety device down by pressing the bowl down in the right location.... but it's a faff and we do use it, particularly for puree-ing garlic, ginger and lemongrass or garlic, ginger and chili and for making pesto.... so I went to the spares department and ordered a new one.

The next new acquisition is a fridge freezer. Ours is 6 years old and has been making a funny noise for the last 4 years. It's fine. It serves it's purpose but my husband's office is moving into the office of the company that took them over now that the lease on their existing place ends this month. Their old fridge freezer failed back in April (?) so a new one had to be purchased. It's actually slightly larger than ours and has the freezer section below the fridge not above like our current one. It's less than 6 months old and hasn't really been used. So this weekend it is coming our way. No one else wants it and in the summer we never had enough space in our fridge section (our old fridge freezer has the ability for the freezer section to be a fridge not freezer which during summer we often used)... we'll keep the old one, just move it to the garage and use it to store the week's supply of eggs, spare medication and those items that live in the fridge but rarely see the light of day... his company have said to just but his office a round of drinks... this is a $2,000 fridge/freezer.

I suspect the next item will have to be a new Excalibur dehydrator. My existing one is on its last legs. The base plastics have cracked all the way through and it's being held together with duck/elephant tape at present. When I use it, I did use it a lot but most of the time it just sits and does nothing.... but it's one of those things that I know we'd miss badly if we didn't have it. The existing one came to me second hand some 10 years ago, so it's lasted a long time as it is. I might try repairing it using the pop rivet gun and some metal bars with a hold on each end. I have what I need so....

At this point, I can't imagine what else I really need, at least within the realm of affordability.
I know what you mean. The irony of our situation is that the replacement bowl for mini food processor will actually have cost more than a round of drinks for 4 people (which is how much the fridge freezer has cost us). Ok, we bought more than just 1 round out drinks but ever still, lol.

I know what you mean. The irony of our situation is that the replacement bowl for mini food processor will actually have cost more than a round of drinks for 4 people (which is how much the fridge freezer has cost us). Ok, we bought more than just 1 round out drinks but ever still, lol.
I'd like to have a hood so I can stir fry and do other high temperature cooking indoors (this is a rainy and cold area), but getting and installing one will be many thousands of dollars. Ditto a dishwasher- the kitchen is not set up for one, so there's a massive plumbing bill involved. I hate washing dishes by hand every day, but I'm resigned to it.

I hate washing dishes by hand every day, but I'm resigned to it.
We're the opposite. This place actually came with a dishwasher but we don't use it. I can't see how it will save me any water (we use 1 fill of a 10L washing up bowl twice a day to do the dishes. That's 20×7 a week... so 140L and all of that can and usually is (when it's not so darn wet outside) collected and recycled onto the garden. If we use the dishwasher Mott only can we not use any water in the house anywhere when it is on, but we can't collect and recycle the water very easily. The water pressure is too low for the dishwasher top operate properly so every other wash will error and have to be reset. The washing machine is a bit better and gives far fewer error messages usually only a couple of times a year, unlike the dishwasher. In fact I've only just bought my 3rd box of dishwashing tablets in 4½ years of living in the house. Mostly we use those tablets on pans with stubborn stains, so soak and scrub them by hand.

Even the shower has issues, can't use any water anywhere else whilst someone showers. So full the kettle before your shower. One disadvantage of gravity feed tank water. One advantage is that we don't lose water when there is no electricity though. That's a big plus. In the last place we lost water so often that I took to keeping containers of water in the spare bedroom so that I could at least have a drink during the day when the electricity was out. Hot water was via a gas bottle, stove was gas and we have a camping stove but it's no use of you don't have a water reserve...

I'd happily give up the dishwasher for the space it takes up.

My next purchase will be a deep fat fryer. We've had several Actify/airfryers over the past decade or so and I'm falling out of love with it. I only really use it for potatoes...chips, wedges, etc...and whilst it does make nice chips, they're only "nice" and not "great". Plus there are so many things that just don't work well in an airfryer like croquettes or bhajis and its such a faff (and quite smelly) to use a pan of oil on the hob. I have my eye on the Tefal Oleoclean - after cooking it filters and stores the oil so you can use it again.

Well I already bought my next item but its not yet used and I fear its a mistake. My old slow cooker (crock-pot) died so I replaced it with an Instant Pot. I am rather stupid I think, as I could have bought a much cheaper simple slow cooker. This machine is basically a pressure cooker given a new name (so we don't get frightened). But it does also have a slow cook setting. Maybe I will get the hang of it...

I love my Instant Pot and during the winter use it several times a week - its so versatile. This afternoon I'm cooking the curry sauce for dinner tonight (slow cooker function), and then this evening whilst that's resting I'll cook the rice (pressure cooker function). I would say though, if you want to use it for slow cooking its worth getting a normal pan lid that fits the pot. I also bought a second inner pot for mine which I've found it extremely useful.

I hate washing dishes by hand every day, but I'm resigned to it.

I feel for you. I really do. I use the dishwasher daily (overnight) so when I cook, everything is immediately cleared up and put in the dish-washer. Then next morning my partner empties it before I get up. Now I should point out that he has dementia, so sometimes things are put away in odd places but at least it means I start every day with everything clean and put away and can cook all day with no dirty dishes in sight.

We're the opposite. This place actually came with a dishwasher but we don't use it. I can't see how it will save me any water (we use 1 fill of a 10L washing up bowl twice a day to do the dishes. That's 20×7 a week... so 140L and all of that can and usually is (when it's not so darn wet outside) collected and recycled onto the garden. If we use the dishwasher Mott only can we not use any water in the house anywhere when it is on, but we can't collect and recycle the water very easily. The water pressure is too low for the dishwasher top operate properly so every other wash will error and have to be reset. The washing machine is a bit better and gives far fewer error messages usually only a couple of times a year, unlike the dishwasher. In fact I've only just bought my 3rd box of dishwashing tablets in 4½ years of living in the house. Mostly we use those tablets on pans with stubborn stains, so soak and scrub them by hand.

Even the shower has issues, can't use any water anywhere else whilst someone showers. So full the kettle before your shower. One disadvantage of gravity feed tank water. One advantage is that we don't lose water when there is no electricity though. That's a big plus. In the last place we lost water so often that I took to keeping containers of water in the spare bedroom so that I could at least have a drink during the day when the electricity was out. Hot water was via a gas bottle, stove was gas and we have a camping stove but it's no use of you don't have a water reserve...

I'd happily give up the dishwasher for the space it takes up.
I'd happily take it off your hands if we were closer!

Water recycling is not an issue here- our weekly newspaper, The Alfred Sun, has a tagline, "In Alfred, the Sun comes out once a week."

Also, although my kitchen in this house is far too small, I can spare the room for the dishwasher because I won't need space for the drain board. So really, it's a net zero change space-wise. Unfortunately, the plumber estimated about $1500 to run new pipes and drains to accommodate it, and that's with me doing the electrical work to bring in a suitable three pin outlet (the house is 1950, all the original outlets are two wire).

Back
Top Bottom