What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

Unfortunately, the plumber estimated about $1500 to run new pipes and drains to accommodate it, and that's with me doing the electrical work to bring in a suitable three pin outlet (the house is 1950, all the original outlets are two wire).

I suppose its different in the UK - my dishwasher runs into the same drain as the washing machine and the electrics in the UK all accommodate any appliance.

I suppose its different in the UK - my dishwasher runs into the same drain as the washing machine and the electrics in the UK all accommodate any appliance.
Yes, but I have to have a branch run to where the dishwasher will sit. Ditto the water supply.

We changed over from two wire to three wire for every outlet maybe 40-50 years ago, and that's standard everywhere here. But older structures have to get rewired.

Where I live, it is typical for the dishwasher to be next to the sink. That makes it easy to "rinse and load." The drain runs into the disposal under the sink. Disposals are sold with a connection for dishwashers.

CD

Where I live, it is typical for the dishwasher to be next to the sink. That makes it easy to "rinse and load." The drain runs into the disposal under the sink. Disposals are sold with a connection for dishwashers.

CD
I'm my experience it is the same in the UK. I guess the fundamental difference is that in the UK we'd normally have the washing machine next to the sink as well. All the water and drainage in one place.

CD
Yep, exactly the same here. We have the dishwasher on one side and the washing machine on the other, the water feeds and drainage connect into the pipework under the sink (waste disposals aren't common over here).

So is the washing machine in the kitchen or is the dishwasher in the laundry?

Normally in the UK the washing machine is in the kitchen and drains into the same place as the sink and dishwasher. My dishwasher and washing machine are side by side. Only the rich have laundry rooms!

Normally in the UK the washing machine is in the kitchen and drains into the same place as the sink and dishwasher. My dishwasher and washing machine are side by side. Only the rich have laundry rooms!
Woo hoo, I'm rich!!!!!

/looks at bank account

/sheds a few tears

Never mind.

My laundry "room" is really just a double-door closet that holds the washer and dryer. Full walk-in laundry rooms are more common here.

CD

I love my Instant Pot and during the winter use it several times a week - its so versatile. This afternoon I'm cooking the curry sauce for dinner tonight (slow cooker function), and then this evening whilst that's resting I'll cook the rice (pressure cooker function). I would say though, if you want to use it for slow cooking its worth getting a normal pan lid that fits the pot. I also bought a second inner pot for mine which I've found it extremely useful.

I've found that the lid from my largest Procook stainless steel saucepan fits perfectly! Its a glass lid so even better - I assume you suggested a different lid because its easier to check how the slow cook is doing?

I'm thinking of buying a single burner hot plate.

Back
Top Bottom