What are your interest/hobbies - besides cooking

Cadac techniques? I love caravans too. I enjoy the 'pared down' lifestyle.

Yes, please share. We have a van and I tend to cook more basic food so not to much steam or smells (the van had a strong smell of fish for weeks after a BBQ was rained off).
I do omelette a lot esp. when staying on farms and getting fresh eggs.

Last edited:
Cadac techniques, this ranges from basic griddle cooking to barbecue meat using the grill and heat deflector plate with apple wood chips sprinkled on to add that special smokey flavour. Takes a bit of time and experimentation, but persistence pays off.

So is a Cadac a special type of barbecue equipment?

I have the Cadac Cari Chef which is a basic circular gas burner on tripod legs with a range of cooking utensils. The basic cooking device is a reversible shallow pan type component that fits over the burner and has a smooth side for frying and roasting and a ribbed side for griddle cooking. There is a large wok type pan called a skottel and a flat stainless steel plate for teppanyaki cooking. Then for barbecuing there is a steel deflector plate that fits over the burner with a grill plate that fits on top. It is on this deflector plate that you sprinkle hardwood chips to generate the smoke. I find the finest smell of all is a piece of steak marinaded with loads of oil and garlic cooking over an apple wood chip sprinkled deflector plate. There is a domed lid that is placed over the smoking food to give that extra penetration of flavour. Regulation of the heat with the gas burner dial is the secret to success but unfortunately skill only comes with hours of cooking experimentation. I have a large umbrella under which I can operate the Cadac even in the rain or snow.

I like to do needlepoint and petit point (needlepoint except it's smaller, think minimum 25 stitches to 75 stitches per square inch). I like to work in the 42-48 per square inch range when the eyes cooperate. The smaller scales look more real in dollhouses, adult types, not ones kids would play with.

A rose that is somewhere in the 40s per sq inch stitch range made as a present for a lady that I have got to get sent to her. In real life, that would equal about 16 inches x 16 inches instead of 1-5/16 inches.
37240-albums1048-picture6846.jpg

A rug worked in 24 per square inch. I don't remember its exact size, but it would be a full room rug for a good sized parlor. It's close to 6x8 inches.
37240-albums1048-picture6678.jpg

I also have a finished Cluny tapestry that took well over a year to make, but I'll have to find the finished picture, as well as a couple of small, Cluny inspired pieces. The tapestry was worked on 48 count, that's over 2300 stitches per square inch.

I've barely gotten started on a Heriz rug piece for a good sized dollhouse room. It's a 48 count piece too.

My eyes are getting old and don't tolerate working that small for long anymore, and I hate to use magnification, so it's slow going.

I'll take a break and do something fun from time to time, a SuperWhoLock bookmark for DD, Supernatural, Dr. Who, Loki, and Sherlock. Self designed and charted.

37240-albums1048-picture6569.jpg

Last edited:
I like to do needlepoint and petit point (needlepoint except it's smaller, think minimum 25 stitches to 75 stitches per square inch). I like to work in the 42-48 per square inch range when the eyes cooperate.

I'm very impressed. You must have much better eyesight than me! I really don't know how you can do this. I love the Dr Who and Sherlock!

R/C cars. Made a mount for a model rocket motor to fit inside the shell, but firing out the rear. First run it hit something, went airbourne clearing the road outside the carpark.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUsGFGhfmk

but at 1/10 scale, with a motor capable of lifting the cars weight vertically 300 feet into the air.

Also R/C helicopter. No live rockets, yet!!

I'm very impressed. You must have much better eyesight than me! I really don't know how you can do this. I love the Dr Who and Sherlock!

Oldest GD expressed an interest in the cross stitching (the bookmark), made herself an angel and tardis bookmark. I don't think she ever sent me a finished picture though. She started on it while spending a week with us once. She made her mom a bookmark as part of her Christmas present this year with an Egyptian theme. She didn't send me a picure of that either. I'm going to have to get on her about that.

GD and I also made a couple of crying angel statues using old Monster High dolls and papier mache type technique with cloth for the dresses. She still has them after a couple of years, wouldn't let her little sister touch them.

What other creative endeavors do you engage in?

As an engineer, I've always advocated art as part of an engineer's skills. Design is part of engineering. But enough said, I enjoy art, both experiencing the art of others and doing my own art. Photography is my primary art medium at this time although I do some digital drawing and illustration stuff. Within the art sphere, I also like to write ... mostly fiction, but often, technical writing and documentary writing. I have also done some musical things, lyrics, poetry, playing and writing.

I love aerospace. I had at one time, a private pilots license and flew single engine land aircraft.

I also love to drive and travel that way too. Driving a 4x4 in the rough is big on my what makes me happy list.

This is my gal ... LLOMA.

LLOMA_01.jpg

LLOMA_03.jpg

LLOMA: Lightweight Levitational Omnidirectional Mass Accelerator. She's lighter than a Toyota Tundra, levitates my spirit, takes me anywhere I want to go and the mass she accelerates is ... me! :)

I had at one time, a private pilots license and flew single engine land aircraft.

Hence your name on the forum? I was friends with an aerobatic pilot many years ago and narrowly avoided doing SOW! :eek::hyper:

LLOMA: Lightweight Levitational Omnidirectional Mass Accelerator. She's lighter than a Toyota Tundra, levitates my spirit, takes me anywhere I want to go and the mass she accelerates is ... me! :)

She is beautiful. You can take me for a ride any time!

Hence your name on the forum?

While the name flyinglentris does include the term flying, it relates to something entirely different than airplanes and piloting. In the SciFi world of my imagination and in one of my writing exploits, a flyinglentris is more related to boomerangs and the discus. A lentris will return home to the person who threw it, much like a boomerang, but is shaped more like a discus. Yes, in that world of SciFi, it is a warrior's weapon.

Back
Top Bottom