What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
California Chicken Salad as posted by @medtran49 :okay:

fullsizeoutput_412f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4125.jpeg

Last night we had pasta.

Minced beef and diced fatty ham cooked until well brown & tendered then in went onions until soft. Then loads of zucchini - I have 10 plants in so they will appear in everything for the next 10 weeks. Then a jar of my homemade tomato pasta sauce (think Jamie’s hidden veg sauce) and a couple of tins of crushed tomatoes.

Cooked for an hour or so.

Once mixed with the rigatoni I added in basil & parsley. Served with a strong pepato cheese.

Served with a couple of fresh salads.

I was intending to marinade some pork today but it got late. I'll do it tomorrow for Saturday.

Relied on the ever available chilli con carne from the freezer.

2 s.jpg

Now that feeling has returned, some tasting notes from yesterday's purchases.

The Kashkaval cheese is not strong, but has a subtle, rather nutty taste. It also gives the impression of being lightly smoked, though I don't think it is. The Bulgarian goat cheese is stronger, but not overpowering. It has a very nice tang to it. Both went well with crusty bread and olives.

A new recipe from one of my non vegetarian/vegan books (there are very few of these on my shelves, this one is one of only two that are the exception) and another recipe based on the concept of using up pantry stores. A dal using brown rice ,red lentils, tomatoes, garam masala (homemade blend), tumeric, loads of fresh ginger, onion served over cauliflower, potatoes, tofu and peas. I modified the recipe slightly so I'll write it up in the next few days.

I'll try to get a picture tonight .

2E0C9A80-44DE-4232-82D5-92DBAFA31CC8.jpeg

I somehow managed to run out of all my pickled things at almost the same time. So, I’ve been busy the last few days. Left-to-right:
  • Kimchi - this is mostly a standard kimchi, but I decided to slice some jicama, salted seaweed, and lemongrass to join the party. I also sliced jalapeño and Anaheim peppers to give it heat, rather than using chili pepper flakes.
  • Pickled onions - as we learned when we were children, red plus yellow makes orange. In this case, it was red onions with turmeric.
  • Preserved lemon - some might say that putting sumac in the pickle gives it too much of a citrus character. I say that there’s no such thing.
  • Pickled peppers - equal amounts jalapeño and poblano peppers, with lemongrass to give it an interesting twist. It’s not very spicy, but it’s not supposed to be.
  • More kimchi - at least I won’t be running out anytime soon.

Last edited:
Wow. Busy! Is your kimchi method on the forum somewhere? It looks very different to the ones I have seen here. I’d love to give it a go.

Tonight we are having “not your mothers meatloaf”.

You see, my MIL makes fantastic meatloaf but it’s best served with mashed potato & steamed green veg. Winter food.

This meatloaf is more like a French terrine. In fact it’s called “Rustic French Meatloaf” - you’ll find it quite easily by googling.

It’s really delicious warm or cold.

View attachment 22299

I somehow managed to run out of all my pickled things at almost the same time. So, I’ve been busy the last few days. Left-to-right:
  • Kimchi - this is mostly a standard kimchi, but I decided to slice some jicama, salted seaweed, and lemongrass to join the party. I also sliced jalapeño and Anaheim peppers to give it heat, rather than using chili pepper flakes.
  • Pickled onions - as we learned when we were children, red plus yellow makes orange. In this case, it was red onions with turmeric.
  • Preserved lemon - some might say that putting sumac in the pickle gives it too much of a citrus character. I say that there’s no such thing.
  • Pickled peppers - equal amounts jalapeño and poblano peppers, with lemongrass to give it an interesting twist. It’s not very spicy, but it’s not supposed to be.
  • More kimchi - at least I won’t be running out anytime soon.

An impressive array!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom