What did you cook, eat or drink today (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muffaletta Sammie made with homemade olive salad (homemade giardineri), one of those things you can buy, but are better made at home since you control what goes in them.

_20190328_071052.JPG

Out of the freezer job again. Black bean pasta, what must be the last of the chilli and veggie balls.

A2258D11-0629-455F-A1A0-4BF083198D73.jpeg

Spinach corn chowder. Why so brown, you ask? Well, you see, I decided to spice things up by adding Sichuan chili sauce. And, as we all know, it is international law that: 1) adding Sichuan chili sauce transforms any dish into an Asian dish; 2) you must add soy sauce if you’re seasoning an Asian dish. No other kind of salt is allowed. So, the soy sauce darkened what was a beautiful green. Still yummy.

I will post the recipe.

Gingersnap Chicken! I've been thinking about gingersnap cookies for days, but I won't make them because I lost weight and don't need them. So, I thought about using the ingredients for gingersnaps as a sauce over the chicken. But there was no "snap" in the Gingersnap Chicken. So, my sister suggested breadcrumbs and I turned the proposed sauce into a crispy coating! Delicious!
Gingersnap Chicken.jpg

Gingersnap Chicken! I've been thinking about gingersnap cookies for days, but I won't make them because I lost weight and don't need them. So, I thought about using the ingredients for gingersnaps as a sauce over the chicken. But there was no "snap" in the Gingersnap Chicken. So, my sister suggested breadcrumbs and I turned the proposed sauce into a crispy coating! Delicious!
View attachment 23323

This sounds like a great idea! If you can post the recipe then that would be much appreciated!

Today I have been mostly drinking a caramel frappé... right now, what little brain I still have is slowly being pulled out of my ears. Brain-freeze; it's not what's for breakfast, I can tell you that.... egads...! :cold::eek::o_o:

View attachment 23323

I use gingersnaps to thicken sauerbraten gravy to serve over the potato dumpling that go with the meal.

Last night was take out Colombian. Hopefully that place was not representative of Colombian food!:headshake:

I use gingersnaps to thicken sauerbraten gravy to serve over the potato dumpling that go with the meal.

Last night was take out Colombian. Hopefully that place was not representative of Colombian food!:headshake:

Have you found any good commercially-produced gingersnaps, or do you make your own?

My favorite 'snaps were discontinued. I don't know if anyone remembers them, they were Salerno (brand) and they came in a brown paper bag. They were so crisp, they'd about break your teeth, and they were so spicy there was a peppery-ness to them. I've found several online recipes with black pepper in the ingredients that I'm going to try...eventually.

Have you found any good commercially-produced gingersnaps, or do you make your own?

I make them for him using his German grandmother's recipe. I'll make a batch, bake enough for the sauerbraten plus a few extras, then portion the rest of the dough, freeze uncooked individually spread out on a cookie sheet, then bag and freeze, and use later as needed. Just thaw and bake.

Here's what the soup looked like before I started adding soy sauce. This is after wilting and then pureeing the spinach with a homemade stock (made from leftover pork ribs):

IMG_0362.JPG

And, here's what it looked like when I added the turnip chunks, pre-simmer (and pre-soy sauce).

IMG_0363.JPG

It's very tasty, but seeing how beautiful the green was makes me sad. My vision of a vibrant green base with yellow bits of corn and white chunks (which honestly would have turned a lighter green) was realistic, but not when soy sauce is involved. I will post a recipe when I make this again (which I will do after I finish this batch). Next time I will use salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom