What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a lasagne tonight – whenever we have lasagne it is me that makes it. Not that fascinating – pure beef, I would use mixed beef and pork but I’m not allowed to; just garlic, onion, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes and bit of stock added – I would use diced carrots and diced celery but I’m not allowed to; dried oregano along with the seasoning; béchamel sauce made with a strong cheddar – anything less than a strong cheddar is an act of futility in my book, (Gorganzola? That’s an impossible dream!) The one concession allowed to my quest for improved quality is that I made the pasta. And the biggest achievement? Having literally done not a thing towards it until just after 5:00pm, it was served, after its half-hour in the oven, at just before 7:30pm. And during its half-hour in the oven, I completely cleaned up the kitchen so that the teenagers have only a small pile of dishes to do after it was eaten, and made Marmite spaghetti for the younger ones.

No Chianti, I’m afraid, we had an Argentinian Malbec with it…

I made a lasagne tonight – whenever we have lasagne it is me that makes it. Not that fascinating – pure beef, I would use mixed beef and pork but I’m not allowed to; just garlic, onion, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes and bit of stock added – I would use diced carrots and diced celery but I’m not allowed to; dried oregano along with the seasoning; béchamel sauce made with a strong cheddar – anything less than a strong cheddar is an act of futility in my book, (Gorganzola? That’s an impossible dream!) The one concession allowed to my quest for improved quality is that I made the pasta. And the biggest achievement? Having literally done not a thing towards it until just after 5:00pm, it was served, after its half-hour in the oven, at just before 7:30pm. And during its half-hour in the oven, I completely cleaned up the kitchen so that the teenagers have only a small pile of dishes to do after it was eaten, and made Marmite spaghetti for the younger ones.

You're a martyr! And you deserved the Malbec.

Oregano in the lasagne....mmmm...try basil!

Buoyed by my recent partial success with quesadillas, I decided to pursue a new venture today. Pepperoni quesadillas.

Disaster!

My wife bought sliced mozzarella cheese which was terrible and spoilt the whole experiment. In fact, I think mozzarella was wrong anyway I should have stuck with cheddar. I cut down on the quantity of salsa but maybe I should have left it out altogether. The pepperoni was very spicy anyway. Oh well....

pepperoni quesadilla 1 s.jpg

pepperoni quesadilla 2 s.jpg

pepperoni quesadilla 3 s.jpg

Oh, and I slightly overcooked the top flour tortilla.

Buoyed by my recent partial success with quesadillas, I decided to pursue a new venture today. Pepperoni quesadillas.

Disaster!

My wife bought sliced mozzarella cheese which was terrible and spoilt the whole experiment. In fact, I think mozzarella was wrong anyway I should have stuck with cheddar. I cut down on the quantity of salsa but maybe I should have left it out altogether. The pepperoni was very spicy anyway. Oh well....

View attachment 6168

View attachment 6169

View attachment 6170

Don't you remove pepper from salame slices? Is that a spicy salame?

Disaster!

View attachment 6168

View attachment 6169

View attachment 6170

I usually leave the salsa out and just plop some of it on my plate separately. This way, I get a dryer Quesalilla which will crisp up and hold together better. You can scoop the salsa on top of the quesadilla with a fork as you eat it...just a thought...

Pepperoni and Mozz? You are making a Mexican Calzone...lol

It's called pepperoni so I don't understand the point of removing the pepper. Then it would just be called "oni"?

It beguiled me the word pepperoni (I have confused with peppers)..infact I was searching them in your photo! For salame, however, is simply our "custom", remove the pepper spicy especially from that which is already spiced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom