What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this is not the thread italian food :)
Yes..I know...I was making a joke about how people can be critical of certain recipes and sticking to tradition. You, being Italian, have used turmeric in your pasta. If I did that over here somebody would say Turmeric doesn't belong in pasta, it's not traditionally Italian...uhmmm...not sure I am explaining myself...anyway, your pasta looks good...I was digressing...carry on...
Side note: I lived in Frosinone for three years..was married to an Italian from Calabria..nice country, Italy...

Oregano in the lasagne....mmmm...try basil!

Okay, I'll take that advice and try it next time. The risk I take is not so much whether I will like it, but whether it will be deemed acceptable behaviour to have done so by the others who will eat the lasagne I make. But hey, maybe that lies within the bounds of acceptable risk.

A little story especially for you @MypinchofItaly. Someone I know - an English person I should make clear, told me that lasgane should be made (not could be made, or you might like to make it but should be made) with lasagne verdi. Why? Because then, the red meat sauce, the white cheese sauce and the green lasagne make up the colours of the Italian flag.

Yes..I know...I was making a joke about how people can be critical of certain recipes and sticking to tradition. You, being Italian, have used turmeric in your pasta. If I did that over here somebody would say Turmeric doesn't belong in pasta, it's not traditionally Italian...uhmmm...not sure I am explaining myself...anyway, your pasta looks good...I was digressing...carry on...
Side note: I lived in Frosinone for three years..was married to an Italian from Calabria..nice country, Italy...

:) yes yes I know it was a joke, and I responded with another quip (but maybe it was not so much to laugh :oops:)
I know that turmeric is not part of our traditional cuisine, but sometimes is good away from it a little bit and try new spices and maybe try to mix them to a more traditional cuisine. And then I'll tell you, I really like turmeric and here we use a lot (well if you propose to my dad does not assure success!) Then I love to do different types of cuisine and try, I'm very curious. It's also nice to show you different from the usual things and all too obvious "spaghetti with tomato sauce and mozzarella." First I represent myself and my manner of cooking.
Come on, Frosinone! Ciociaria. Incredible..how many pecorino cheese! I've never been in Frosinone. My husband is from Roma.
Married to an Italian from Calabria..wow, strong character:wink:

Last edited:
Okay, I'll take that advice and try it next time. The risk I take is not so much whether I will like it, but whether it will be deemed acceptable behaviour to have done so by the others who will eat the lasagne I make. But hey, maybe that lies within the bounds of acceptable risk.

A little story especially for you @MypinchofItaly. Someone I know - an English person I should make clear, told me that lasgane should be made (not could be made, or you might like to make it but should be made) with lasagne verdi. Why? Because then, the red meat sauce, the white cheese sauce and the green lasagne make up the colours of the Italian flag.

A bit like this pasta that my wife brought home once........

ravioli pasta s.jpg

it would look pretty. But it not the definitive recipe!

hahaha, nice story.
Lasagne verdi are only one variant to the classic lasagne made with the eggs..they are usually prepared with the spinach. Perhaps the combination green lasagne, meat sauce and mozzarella (or white cheese sauce) did think about this and it could be that somewhere think so. Sometimes I also use green lasagne for the vegetarian version..even if it is not necessary to use only green ones.

Buoyed by my recent partial success with quesadillas, I decided to pursue a new venture today. Pepperoni quesadillas.

Disaster!

My wife bought sliced mozzarella cheese which was terrible and spoilt the whole experiment. In fact, I think mozzarella was wrong anyway I should have stuck with cheddar. I cut down on the quantity of salsa but maybe I should have left it out altogether. The pepperoni was very spicy anyway. Oh well....

View attachment 6168

View attachment 6169

View attachment 6170

Oh, and I slightly overcooked the top flour tortilla.
Suggestion. Next time, leave the salsa out. You dip the finished quesadilla in the salsa or spoon the salsa on top of the quesadilla.

My wife does an interesting dish with Ox liver - we usually have it for lunch rather than dinner. She does it with chopped bacon and onion but then the ingredient she adds that may not meet with universal approval - sweet chilli. She serves it with a little mixed leaf salad. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom