What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife does an interesting dish with Ox liver - we usually have it for lunch rather than dinner. She does it with chopped bacon and onion but then the ingredient she adds that may not meet with universal approval - sweet chilli. She serves it with a little mixed leaf salad. I love it!

That is a bit strange (the sweet chilli). Perhaps I will try it.

That is a bit strange (the sweet chilli). Perhaps I will try it.

Yeah they key with liver, as I know you will know Morning glory, is getting the timing right. Undercooked or overcooked with liver is a disaster. The first time she did it with the sweet chilli, I think it was a spur of the moment thing and she didn't tell me what she had done. But I remember eating it and saying, wow that's nice. I got the spicy background but I hadn't quite figured it out until she told me, and then it made sense. Anyway, that's the way she's done it when she has done it since and I still think its great.

This is dedicated to @Ken Natton who elsewhere said he doubted that runny eggs would work with salad (at least I think it was you, Ken). Its a famous classic French recipe: Salade Lyonnaise.
Lettuce (it should be Frisee) , croutons, bacon, poached egg or egg mollet, warm vinaigrette.

IMGP1825.jpg

IMGP1824.jpg

This is dedicated to @Ken Natton who elsewhere said he doubted that runny eggs would work with salad (at least I think it was you, Ken). Its a famous classic French recipe: Salade Lyonnaise.
Lettuce (it should be Frisee) , croutons, bacon, poached egg or egg mollet, warm vinaigrette.

Stunning as ever Morning Glory. Beautiful food, beautiful photography. I can guarantee you that I would love that salad, runny egg and all.

Stunning as ever Morning Glory. Beautiful food, beautiful photography. I can guarantee you that I would love that salad, runny egg and all.

I wasn't happy with the 'egg bleed' photographically. I wasn't using my usual Black Farmer eggs with the bright orange yolks. I used Burford Brown which is usually nearly as good colour wise - but the colour of the yolk is not what I hoped . Plus it decanted itself downwards into the leaves so you can't see most of it! I may have another go at this. But it is a great classic recipe which I will post up when I get a moment. There are many versions on the internet...

I had pan fried duck steaks with an improvised carrot 'salsa', lambs lettuce and another attempt at making parathas!

I mentioned the recipe for it it on this thread and adapted it to incorporate a suggestion made, e.g. making it into a slack batter and resting it. A bit slow to realise that such a consistency could not be rolled! Instead of incorporating raw onion, green chillies and ginger into the dough/batter, I lightly fried them off and was thinking of adding them to the rolled out dough in a ball (as in a stuffed paratha). Ha! Not to be due to the liquidy dough i.e. batter. So I just added the sauteed ingredients back into the batter and fried it off in spoonfuls. Underwhelming and the recipe is in the bin!

I had pan fried duck steaks with an improvised carrot 'salsa', lambs lettuce and another attempt at making parathas!

I mentioned the recipe for it it on this thread and adapted it to incorporate a suggestion made, e.g. making it into a slack batter and resting it. A bit slow to realise that such a consistency could not be rolled! Instead of incorporating raw onion, green chillies and ginger into the dough/batter, I lightly fried them off and was thinking of adding them to the rolled out dough in a ball (as in a stuffed paratha). Ha! Not to be due to the liquidy dough i.e. batter. So I just added the sauteed ingredients back into the batter and fried it off in spoonfuls. Underwhelming and the recipe is in the bin!

Making it into a slack batter can't be right. It would be pancakes then... you need a simple bread dough made from flour, water and a little salt. Knead it for a few minutes and rest it. Then roll out into a circle and brush with ghee, fold, brush with ghee and roll again. Dust with flour. This makes a triangular shaped paratha ready for frying. If you want stuffed paratha the filling goes between the layers.

I can't give specifics because she says it 'sall by eye, but start with 500g of 93/7 ground turkey, dried parsley and basil, 1 eggwhite, and Italian style seasoned breadcrumbs. Fry the meatballs until lightly brown on all sides in grapeseed oil (or light olive oil), then simmer in sauce until cooked through, maybe 1/2 hour.

I like to add a good cup of grated romano cheese, and a splash of milk to help keep them moist.

Making it into a slack batter can't be right. It would be pancakes then... you need a simple bread dough made from flour, water and a little salt. Knead it for a few minutes and rest it. Then roll out into a circle and brush with ghee, fold, brush with ghee and roll again. Dust with flour. This makes a triangular shaped paratha ready for frying. If you want stuffed paratha the filling goes between the layers.
Well the suggestion for a slack batter was made on this thread (last month) and, I seem to recall, was from an Indian friend...so who was I to quibble with their experience?

Thanks for your advice here but - no surprise - I have gone off the whole idea!

Well the suggestion for a slack batter was made on this thread (last month) and, I seem to recall, was from an Indian friend...so who was I to quibble with their experience?

Thanks for your advice here but - no surprise - I have gone off the whole idea!

I'm not surprised! :laugh:
But I'm not sure we have any Indian folk joining in on this thread. :scratchhead:Well, maybe we have and I didn't realise they were Indian (in which case apologies). I recall the discussion but not the 'slack batter' part. I'll have a look back.

OK, @creative I found the post you are referring to here. It was originally from @Elawin and she is quoting a book by an Indian author. I do find it very odd. I mean a batter is a batter and there is no way you can roll out a batter!

I can't give specifics because she says it 'sall by eye, but start with 500g of 93/7 ground turkey, dried parsley and basil, 1 eggwhite, and Italian style seasoned breadcrumbs. Fry the meatballs until lightly brown on all sides in grapeseed oil (or light olive oil), then simmer in sauce until cooked through, maybe 1/2 hour.

I like to add a good cup of grated romano cheese, and a splash of milk to help keep them moist.

The egg white is not something I would use - maybe that lightens them. I normally use a whole egg. Cheese would certainly help moistness. What are 'Italian style' breadcrumbs? Are they dried breadcrumbs?

The egg white is not something I would use - maybe that lightens them. I normally use a whole egg. Cheese would certainly help moistness. What are 'Italian style' breadcrumbs? Are they dried breadcrumbs?
A lean mince is, by nature, quite dry but I find this is rectified by adding pancetta (which may defeat the object if going for less fat!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom