What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Asian buffet?
All you can eat restaurant. Initially it was a Chinese food feature, but now, many restaurants cover various Asian foods..this is a small one pictured here. Some have 4 or 5 rows of different food selections...These restaurants tend to be fairly large. Some with hundreds of seats..
buffet.jpg

Last edited:
That looks delicious, Yorky. I wish I was allowed to cook with/eat more bacon. The Mrs. avoids it like the plague because of cholesterol issues.

She also doesn't like buffets, Rock. "Everyone sneezing, spreading germs on them" is the reasoning.

It's amazing I'm still a foodie being married to her.

We went back to visit a friend in our old neighborhood yesterday. He was helping me strip and respool some fishing reels with a machine he refurbed from a spoting goods shop. On the way home we stopped for a plain (cheese) pizza from a great place near the old house.

But, I was still hungry late last night, as always, so I picked up some Newfoundland mussels and made Mussels Fra Diavolo and garlic bread.

0421172237c.jpg

The mussels were huge, plump, and delicious. If you look at the normal sized dinner plate under the bread in comparison to the mussels, you can see just how big the mussels were.

Unfortunately, as I've previously mentioned, mussels are one of the very few foods to which I am allergic. I can eat (and enjoy) them but I don't enjoy the subsequent asthma attack.

That sucketh. Avert your eyes, then, 'cause these were gigantic.

What about other shellfish? Clams, cockels, conch, and so on?

That looks delicious, Yorky. I wish I was allowed to cook with/eat more bacon. The Mrs. avoids it like the plague because of cholesterol issues.

She also doesn't like buffets, Rock. "Everyone sneezing, spreading germs on them" is the reasoning.

It's amazing I'm still a foodie being married to her.
She sounds like a wise woman to me! Whilst you can get lean back bacon with reduced salt....it is still a high salt and fat content. I love bacon too but daren't eat it too often (I have high blood pressure so have to watch my salt intake).

Re. the germs issue with buffets - tell her you won't eat the food on the top of the pile then! :okay:

That sucketh. Avert your eyes, then, 'cause these were gigantic.

What about other shellfish? Clams, cockels, conch, and so on?

No problem as far as I know. I've had the attack twice after eating mussels so I don't think it's down to a bad one.

Normally when I eat streaky bacon it has to be crispy. With this concoction I don't have a problem if it isn't.

Strange.

The mussels were huge, plump, and delicious. If you look at the normal sized dinner plate under the bread in comparison to the mussels, you can see just how big the mussels were.

That is just gorgeous! I love the idea of this sauce - the one thing I don't really like with mussels is cream (well I'm not keen on cream in general) but to me , cream and seafood just doesn't work.

That is just gorgeous! I love the idea of this sauce - the one thing I don't really like with mussels is cream (well I'm not keen on cream in general) but to me , cream and seafood just doesn't work.

The sauce is extremely easy to make.

Just saute some minced onions and garlic in oo:

0421172205.jpg

Add a pinch or two of dried basil and dried parsley (fresh is better, but all I had was dried):

0421172205b.jpg

Next, add some tomato sauce and white wine, and a heaping tbsp of dried hot chilis, stir and reduce. You want it to be thick since the mussels will release their liquor into the sauce, thinning it back out.
0421172218.jpg

Dump in the mussels and cover.

0421172220a.jpg

0421172220c.jpg

Stir once or twice to distribute as they cook, and when all of the mussels are opened, it's chow time.

0421172233.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom