What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sauce is extremely easy to make.

Just saute some minced onions and garlic in oo:

View attachment 6614

Add a pinch or two of dried basil and dried parsley (fresh is better, but all I had was dried):

View attachment 6615

Next, add some tomato sauce and white wine, and a heaping tbsp of dried hot chilis, stir and reduce. You want it to be thick since the mussels will release their liquor into the sauce, thinning it back out.
View attachment 6616

Dump in the mussels and cover.

View attachment 6617

View attachment 6618

Stir once or twice to distribute as they cook, and when all of the mussels are opened, it's chow time.

View attachment 6620

Today is the day of mussels..for dinner we'll go with friends in a restaurant in Genova famous for mussels.

This evening I just had a chicken soup with seeded sourdough bread (to make way for a roast dinner out tomorrow!)

However I also tried out a recipe using gram/besan (chickpea flour) that seemed interesting. (I eat far too many crisps so was looking for it to be an alternative snack for that!) It involved whisking the besan into boiling, salted water until thick (like a polenta) then spreading it out to set. Once set, cut and shallow fried. It is not picturesque, so no photo, but a pretty good flavour. It did lose its firmness slightly in the pan....am thinking maybe some egg might work better (getting close to a choux pastry, bar the butter!)

creative, have you ever tried roasted laver?

They are crisp squares made of a seaweed. It's a much healthier snack than regular crisps, but have that similar salty, crispy thing goin on.

They are crisp squares made of a seaweed. It's a much healthier snack than regular crisps, but have that similar salty, crispy thing goin on.
There is something similar you can make with kale which might be easier to find than seaweed, in London. But I expect you are talking of a ready made product? I'm not sure if we have anything like that here.

Tonight will be mess over tator tots.
Mess: taco meat, cream style corn, chili, and store brand velveeta.

Thanks for your suggestion but seaweed is not advisable for those (like myself) with high blood pressure. (Laver is not that readily available here either I don't think - although I have seen nori sheets).

I do have other snacks that I eat on some occasions e.g. raw carrot with ketchup, oatcakes with a little cheese, nocelleria olives with cucumber and tomato is a fav (but olives are high in salt), banana and mixed nuts, granola etc but none of them 'hit the spot' the way that crisps do (I get the unsalted ones - always hand cooked - when I can)!

As my profile pic depicts, fresh cherries in melted dark choc are a real fav and treat - not currently in season. I also love marzipan and plain chocolate. I roll the marzipan into balls and dip them in melted chocolate but....sometimes...I don't get to that stage and am reduced to chomping on plain choc and slicing off bits of marzipan!
blush.gif

Last edited:
She also doesn't like buffets, Rock. "Everyone sneezing, spreading germs on them" is the reasoning.

We rarely eat at buffets. GF eats like a bird so it's not worth it and around here, everything is deep fried or smothered in sweet sauce...or both....I like my Asian a little more authentic so we go into the city to little family owned joints and get the real deal....

We rarely eat at buffets. GF eats like a bird so it's not worth it and around here, everything is deep fried or smothered in sweet sauce...or both....I like my Asian a little more authentic so we go into the city to little family owned joints and get the real deal....
She eats 3 times her weight every day? How do you afford to feed her?

GF went South of the border today for some shopping with my big sister. Home alone tonight so it will be some grilled beef tenderloin with a big slab of St Agur, roasted potatoes, onions, green beans, and a big jug of red.....and hopefully not the last time I watch my favorite hockey team this season

Last edited:
GF went South of the border today for some shopping with my big sister. Home alone tonight so it will be some grilled beef tenderloin with a big slab of St Agur, roasted potatoes, onions, green beans, and a big jug of red.....and hopefully not the last time I watch my favorite hockey team this season
You are making me hungry and I just ate.

I can eat (and enjoy) them but I don't enjoy the subsequent asthma attack
@Yorky as a severe asthmatic who has experience similar issues with other food products and medication, I suspect I know that answer to the question Did your reliever make much difference during those two attacks? If the answer is no, then they were not asthma attacks but mild anaphylactic shock. Be careful. For me, the first time it happened big time was at an advanced medical training course (the type you take when you go off unsupported into the wilds that the planet has to offer where medical help can be days away rather than a phone call away...) I found out the hard way that it wasn't an asthma attack I was having when I ate a ginger biscuit (the previous 4 days of this course, they had been baked on site with margarine that was dairy free) I had said I was allergic to dairy and avoided it. I hadn't appreciated on the 5th day that the biscuits were not made on site or dairy free. I just assumed that whilst they looked slightly different, and the sign was missing that they were dairy free, that given 4 days in a row previously there had been something suitable for me, that it was simply the sign was missing... yeh. it wasn't. the 2nd bite put me in to quite a bad attack which I just assumed was my asthma as always. I was later advised that it wasn't and that finding a quiet corner to have my asthma attack in wasn't my best move! It was only because it was the first time I had been late for anything on the 5 day training course that someone (other than my husband who was actually already looking for me) went looking for me....

@Yorky as a severe asthmatic who has experience similar issues with other food products and medication, I suspect I know that answer to the question Did your reliever make much difference during those two attacks?

I don't believe that relievers were available in those days (I never had one anyway). Even if I had, the "attacks" came on years after I thought I had rid of asthma so I wouldn't have been carrying one anyway. Whether they were asthma attacks or something else, I don't know but I now avoid mussels and have had no re-occurence (for almost 40 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom