What did you cook/eat today (December 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:34 PM
Each month, we start a new thread called "What did you cook/eat today?" Tell what you have cooked or eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have prepared and/or eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to also cover any meal or snack that you have eaten during the day. If you have a photo, no matter what the quality, that would be great.

This thread is not for recipes. If you want to post a recipe (which would be great!) please write it up separately and post it as a new thread in the relevant section.

Last edited:
hi. i cooked today fish soup with vegetables..

How did it get to be December already?
Will edit this post when I figure out what I am making.
Steak and Brussels sprouts with cheese sauce.
I can tell you tomorrow will be soup.

Last edited:
Beef steak, rare.

dec fillet cut s.jpg

Served nouvelle cuisine (Yorkshire style) with sauteed mushrooms and onions, chips, grass, poached duck egg, tomato and English mustard.

dec fillet chips 1s.jpg

Egg bleeding....

dec fillet egg s.jpg

The onset of Winter has really got me enthused about slow cooked comfort food. Last night we had venison casserole that had been cooking for around 32 hours - part sous vide part slow cooker. To be honest it was a bit overcooked - the gentle stirring involved in thickening the sauce was breaking up the meat. Still it went down well with a big dollop of creamy mashed potatoes.

Pork is incredibly cheap at the moment. I picked up six 1" slices of belly pork for £5 yesterday. They went straight into wet cure for 24 hours and will be hitting the smoker later today and the sous vide on Monday for 72 hours before being frozen for later use.

Today we are going to trial a new method of slow cooking a ham. If it works out we will do it on a bigger cut for Christmas. I'm also trying to get my head around the feasibility of fitting a turkey crown in the sous vide having stumbled on a brilliant recipe that would transform Christmas morning.

Tonight was Bratfud Bangla, rice, egg, potato and yoghurt bhaji and naan. Unfortunately my wife didn't tell me that she'd bought an alternative strain of rice which needs a minimal quantity of water so it went to mush. All rice looks the same to me and I cannot read what it says on the packet. Oh well, better luck next time.

bratfudbangla yogurt potato s.jpg

Tonight was Bratfud Bangla, rice, egg, potato and yoghurt bhaji and naan. Unfortunately my wife didn't tell me that she'd bought an alternative strain of rice which needs a minimal quantity of water so it went to mush. All rice looks the same to me and I cannot read what it says on the packet. Oh well, better luck next time.

View attachment 4313
If this is a starchy, sticky type of rice then cooking it less won't make any difference...

Last night was pheasant cooked on a bed of thinly sliced tangerines, thyme and onions, with a blackberry/red wine sauce.
I love pheasant, but never had it with tangerines. Interesting idea. I don't suppose its that far removed from having it with blackberries or blackcurrents.

I love pheasant, but never had it with tangerines. Interesting idea. I don't suppose its that far removed from having it with blackberries or blackcurrents.
I just used one small tangerine sliced on a mandolin plus onions and thyme under the pheasant (pot roasted). Yes it gives a nice tangy edge.

The Festive ham was OK, but not a big improvement over the usual way of cooking it - boiled in cider, coated with honey and mustard then oven baked. Back to the drawing board.
All cooked out this weekend, so Sunday supper was simple - sat in front of a roaring fire watching TV whilst dipping chunks of toasted bread into a baked Camembert. Washed down with a glass or two of Bordeaux. Simple is good! (Maybe i can find a Scandinavian name for this so it can start "trending")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom