What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attempted an aubergine Tarte Tatin. It needs work. I think I used too much oil and whilst i followed the recipe to the letter (except for the pastry) I think it needs much more balsamic vinegar.
I also comes up another batch of homemade hummus, made by soaking the chickpeas overnight and cooking them in a pressure cooker for 30minutes with ringside, ground coriander, ground cumin and garlic.
Finally a double batch of tomato soup had been made up, killing my liquidiser in the process...

I attempted an aubergine Tarte Tatin. It needs work.

I attempted one too and mine also needs work. It looks quite good but photos can lie...

20171211_133342.jpg

The best I could get on this tablet. The tablet is over 3 years old now and beginning to show is age. It's photos are crap compared to the ones my husband's tablet can take. His is the next model up from mine, or rather the one that replaced mine...

IMG_1017.JPG

Chicken Gizzards & Hearts Po Boy Sandwich.

I made baguettes and Emeril's Remoulade last night. I was going to fry up the gizzards and hearts, too, but I decided to let them soak in buttermilk (with hot sauce and several spices) overnight first.

IMG_1014.JPG

Tonight, I drained the meat, but saved the buttermilk mixture, which I blended with an egg. I then trimmed the connecting tissue from the gizzards. Fortunately, they had already been cleaned of sediment (the gizzard is the part of the chicken that collects sand and such that it accidentally eats)

IMG_1013.JPG

Next, I coated the meat with corn flour (in the bag), then dipped it in the buttermilk mixture, and finally breaded it with a mix of cornmeal and flour (mostly cornmeal), plus salt, pepper, and dried basil.

IMG_1015.JPG

Then, I fried them for about four minutes, shaking the basket occasionally so they wouldn't stick together. They were slightly chewy, but very tasty. And, in combination with the remoulade and the rest of the sandwich, it was amazing.

IMG_1016.JPG

Do I recommend anybody try to fry gizzards? No. It's definitely not worth all the effort. But, things turned out OK, especially at about a $1 a pound.

Last edited:
I attempted an aubergine Tarte Tatin.
I attempted one too and mine also needs work. It looks quite good but photos can lie...
Very creative interpretations of what I normally think of as a sweet recipe!

NOTE: I will actually make an eggplant dish...I've even gotten the eggplants I want to use. But, as you can see, I've been waylaid, first by strawberries, and then by chicken gizzards and hearts. It could have happened to anyone. :whistling:

Pan fried eggplant with a shrimp cream sauce and Black Krim Heirloom tomatoes salvaged before the last frost.
Gorgeous...my first thought with eggplant was an eggplant parmesan, but this is much better. And, were those heirlooms from your garden? If so, I'm totally jealous.

I've been cooking "dum" for some time now (25 years off and on?) but unfortunately it does not freeze satisfactorily so I used to give two portions to a couple of mates who are now dead. That fact prevented me bothering with it for a while but today I'm trying it as a single portion (I only had one potato left anyway). It's a lot of work for only a small amount but I'll find out if it's worth it later.

dum cooking s.jpg

The aroma around the house was wonderful. I wonder how long it will be before we are able to transmit smells over the internet?

I've been cooking "dum" for some time now (25 years off and on?) but unfortunately it does not freeze satisfactorily so I used to give two portions to a couple of mates who are now dead. That fact prevented me bothering with it for a while but today I'm trying it as a single portion (I only had one potato left anyway). It's a lot of work for only a small amount but I'll find out if it's worth it later.

It was very good.

3 s.jpg

I attempted an aubergine Tarte Tatin. It needs work. I think I used too much oil and whilst i followed the recipe to the letter (except for the pastry) I think it needs much more balsamic vinegar.
I also comes up another batch of homemade hummus, made by soaking the chickpeas overnight and cooking them in a pressure cooker for 30minutes with ringside, ground coriander, ground cumin and garlic.
Finally a double batch of tomato soup had been made up, killing my liquidiser in the process...

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Looks wonderful ..

Can you post a link to the new Ignazio Trattoria ? My daughter is going to Madrid in January and I'm sure she would love it.

@morning glory

The name of the Restaurant is: Restaurante Da Giuseppina: Calle Trafalgar 17 - Madrid Capital - Metro (Underground) Number 1 or 4: Bilbao Station or Metro 1 to Iglesias .. Neighborhood: Chamberí .. Reservations are highly suggested: 34 / 91 - 445 - 8539 ..

The website: www.dagiuseppina.com

Tuesday through Friday there is a laboral day menú ( choice of 3 or 4 starters and choice of 3 or 4 mains plus a glass of wine or beer or beverage and a café or tea ) .. It is 16 Euros. The specials of the day are "A la carte" and more ..

Six doors down from the Restaurant, is the Italian gourmet shop which is worth a look ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom