What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

I'll take a peek at the recipe as I have that same book - but I'm away at the moment so it won't be until next weekend. We had a Bourguignon Cookalong a while back. I'll try to find a link.

Here we go: The CookingBites Cookalong: Boeuf Bourguignon or Mushroom Bourguignon
Also I used one of those 'jelly' type beef stocks. They advise on the packet that they should be mixed with 500ml water. In my experience some of these stocks are quite salty anyway. So next time I'll drop oven temp and only use the correct amount of stock cube adjusting for salt near end.

TBH I'm possibly being too finicky, it's just that I know it could taste better. It was still tasty.

Also I used one of those 'jelly' type beef stocks. They advise on the packet that they should be mixed with 500ml water. In my experience some of these stocks are quite salty anyway. So next time I'll drop oven temp and only use the correct amount of stock cube adjusting for salt near end.

TBH I'm possibly being too finicky, it's just that I know it could taste better. It was still tasty.

I don't think you are being finicky. If you are then I must be worse because I'm rarely 100 % happy with what I cook. My single observation about your bourguignon is that is looks as if the sauce is too thick. So maybe its got concentrated down too much.

Today was the last day of working on clearing our old house for renting. So we'll finally be able to go back to our normal schedule . In order to be there quick for the last bit of work we ate a burger and some fries at a cafeteria near us. Their burgers are pretty good. I had a cheeseburger.

Breakfast/Brunch: The rest of the Cock-a-Leekie Soup I made recently. (Home grown chicken, celery, leeks, barley)

Second Meal: The rest of the scalloped potatoes Au Gratin I made for second Thanksgiving (Includes broccoli, cabbage, 4 cheese types); and plus: Pork spare ribs with a ras al hanout rub, cooked in the oven - because, well, there's a foot and a half or so (0.4 meters or more) of snow out there!

The Flying Saucer Drive-in, Niagara Falls, Canada! You don't get the full effect of the 1950s-style flying saucer design of the building from this picture, but here's what it looked like as we approached:

o.jpg

The decor inside was similarly awesome. Note the Christmas decorations, the circular walls with windows all around, and the E.T. that got stuck in the wall.

Fortunately, this wasn't just a fun building: the food was excellent and reasonably-priced. For $18.99 Canadian ($14.29 USD / 12.90€), I got an 8 ounce New York Strip steak (cooked a perfect medium-rare), 3 eggs, home fries, and toast. And, the steak was good! Not top-shelf steakhouse quality, but considering that I was paying such a paltry sum, it was well worth it.

IMG_1107.JPG

Today was the last day of working on clearing our old house for renting. So we'll finally be able to go back to our normal schedule . In order to be there quick for the last bit of work we ate a burger and some fries at a cafeteria near us. Their burgers are pretty good. I had a cheeseburger.
View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313
Yum

The Flying Saucer Drive-in, Niagara Falls, Canada! You don't get the full effect of the 1950s-style flying saucer design of the building from this picture, but here's what it looked like as we approached:

View attachment 35322
View attachment 35318

The decor inside was similarly awesome. Note the Christmas decorations, the circular walls with windows all around, and the E.T. that got stuck in the wall.

View attachment 35319

Fortunately, this wasn't just a fun building: the food was excellent and reasonably-priced. For $18.99 Canadian ($14.29 USD / 12.90€), I got an 8 ounce New York Strip steak (cooked a perfect medium-rare), 3 eggs, home fries, and toast. And, the steak was good! Not top-shelf steakhouse quality, but considering that I was paying such a paltry sum, it was well worth it.

View attachment 35321

We also have one that shape here. It used to be called the burger bunker. Great place for really good burgers. It was there when I started my first job, in 71? If I worked overtime we went there for our burger for tea. It's now some scummy joint. I'll try get a pic for you.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 35322
View attachment 35318

View attachment 35319

View attachment 35321

Our one here.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Man flu hit me last evening. I was in bed early but of course awake at 4 am with a blocked up nose, a very dry mouth and a headache. My wife gave me a couple of tablets which encouraged me to attend the snooker. I wish that I hadn't now. Carry oot char siu egg noodles was the only dish I thought I could handle. I couldn't face cooking.

The temperature was 16°C overnight.

Yesterday's dinner: (I didn't photograph the potato casserole, it was a hodge podge pile put together with all the leftovers, and nuked.
But this was the pork spare ribs coming out of the oven.

spare ribs-.jpg

I only ate about a third of this. Leftovers are fine!

Ras al hanout rub, cooked at 325 F for 3 hours, on a rack.

I would have loved grilling this, but way too much sn*w out there on the deck.

Back
Top Bottom