What did you cook/eat today (February 2020)?

Given that the house is full of painters I'm sticking with defrosting frozen stuff at the moment. Chicken supreme yesterday, chilli con carne today.

Tell us what you cooked or ate today. Photos appreciated but not at all necessary.
Should I really be posting using the "quote" tab ? - anyway made a Chinese takeaway last night, turned out pretty well though nearly 3 hours prep time (OK I'm slow) Ribs, prawn fried rice, fried pork wontons and sweet sour chicken.

.....made a Chinese takeaway last night, turned out pretty well though nearly 3 hours prep time (OK I'm slow) Ribs, prawn fried rice, fried pork wontons and sweet sour chicken.

My only venture recently into cooking Chinese style food is the American Chinese stuff - Chop suey and Chow Mein. Other Chinese dishes are widely available in restaurants or stalls in town. However, the one dish that is not available is crispy duck in Chinese pancakes. My wife bought a duck many years ago and we tried it at home. After about 10 hours of marinating, steaming and frying we had sufficient crispy duck for two pancakes. We haven't bothered again.

Given that the house is full of painters I'm sticking with defrosting frozen stuff at the moment. Chicken supreme yesterday, chilli con carne today.

Changed my mind. The Hainanese chicken rice shop is open which requires no co-ordination with the painters.

[Edit: I'm pleased that I made that decision as they have now started painting the kitchen ceiling. There appears to be no logic as to where they are going next!].

Last edited:

Pepes mahi mahi. Have had this for lunch two days in a row. Fish with fresh aromatics cooked Balinese style. The reason I had it two days (despite the obvious one of it being delicious) is I persuaded the Warung owner to give me a demonstration on how to prepare and cook it. She agreed, but asked me to come back today before they got busy for lunch. And she also let me video it for YouTube.....will link to it below but be forewarned it goes for over 18 minutes. There are no ads on my YouTube channel and is not monetized in any way. Is just a hobby.

View: https://youtu.be/nAuftzlovO0

Should I really be posting using the "quote" tab ? - anyway made a Chinese takeaway last night, turned out pretty well though nearly 3 hours prep time (OK I'm slow) Ribs, prawn fried rice, fried pork wontons and sweet sour chicken.View attachment 37265

This looks really impressive Roger Burton - and delicious.
Should I really be posting using the "quote" tab ? -

You don't need to unless you are replying to/commenting on another member's post.

View attachment 37266
View attachment 37268

Pepes mahi mahi. Have had this for lunch two days in a row. Fish with fresh aromatics cooked Balinese style. The reason I had it two days (despite the obvious one of it being delicious) is I persuaded the Warung owner to give me a demonstration on how to prepare and cook it. She agreed, but asked me to come back today before they got busy for lunch. And she also let me video it for YouTube.....will link to it below but be forewarned it goes for over 18 minutes. There are no ads on my YouTube channel and is not monetized in any way. Is just a hobby.

View: https://youtu.be/nAuftzlovO0

Great photos too!

I just didn't know how to add to the "what did you cook today" thread ... I'm probably being dim.

At the bottom of every thread page you should se something like this (see below). Just enter your reply where it says "Write your reply." and type. Then click the green "post reply" button.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 4.50.20 AM.jpg

CD

Roger Burton - in case you're like me and on a phone exclusively (or even not exclusively :laugh:, when you first click on the topic, if you just barely scroll down, you'll see two green arrows appear in the lower-right corner; touch one and it goes all the way to the top, touch the other and it goes all the way to the bottom.

That'll get you down to the bottom in a flash, and then you'll see the little posting form at the bottom. It doesn't matter if you're on the first or last page of a topic. It'll be there regardless, and you can post away.

Also, it's a little disorienting at first, but if you do that from the first page, it'll initially look as if you've posted to the first page. You'll see all the responses in the first page, and yours tacked on the bottom, but it's really at the bottom of the last page. Sounds confusing, but it's not.

Lastly, it you prefer to go to the last page of the thread, you can do that by hitting the tiny little "fast-forward" arrows near the top, by the Next and Prev buttons. That'll take you to the last page of the topic, then you can scroll to the bottom of that page, and there's the posting form, ready to go.

I'd do screenshots, but I'm cooking breakfast and typing with one thumb. :)

Back
Top Bottom